always use GFCI?

mps9506

I was watching some TV show today, and a contractor was talking about GFCI recpeticcles, where to use them, and what should be plugged into them. He pointed out certain items shouldn't be plugged into them even though they are in the kitchen, like the fridge.
So what I am wondering is, does every item I use in the aquarium need to be plugged into the GFCI?
Mainly the return pump? If I am using an external pump, that is essentially isolated from the aquarium, protected from spills, etc.
This would prevent the pump from cutting off while I am away.
Obviously it seems to me everything else should be plugged in to a GFCI.
Am I totally wrong here?
Mike

wooddood

the wood dude
imo anything that has a possibility to come in contact with water should be hooked to a gfci plug period.

dave.;)

Curtswearing

I am certainly not the expert on this issue (as evidenced by my electrical fire). I have always read that you should put your return pump on one circuit and your powerheads on a different circuit. That way, if one circuit blows, you still have water movement in your tank.

Curt has a great point about multiple circuits ... power surges around me like to knock out my GFCI's ... leaving the tanks without power.

Though when I've had my return pump on a different circuit on one, it doesn't seem to mess with that and thus leaves me with circulation.

---
On vacations now, I unhook the GFCI from my return pump as I'm more concerned with long periods of zero circulation .... but I tend to always run them.

Maybe I'm an electrical idiot, but I know when doing tank maintenance I've tripped them easily a half dozen times in the last year. IMO, don't do tank maintenance, messing around without them.

UnderWaterParadise

my name is Rob and I'm a Zooaholic
But what if your Tank has it own dedicated circuit. I have no way of putting things on a different circuit. I just bought a HD power strip that comes with an GFCI plug. The new power strip is Metal and the GFCI that came with it can be used on anything ( it's an adapter). It cost me $30 but I think will be well worth it

mps9506

I guess I should first clarify my thoughts a bit.
the pumps I'm thinking of are definately not submersible, or even magnet drive type pumps, but true external water pumps like a sequence or Dolphin ampmaster type pump.
I believe the water is essentially isolated from the pump and any electronics, so I would think the risk of stray current, or water/electricity problems would be minimal, unless you spill water on it.
I usually turn off my return pump when I do work on my tank, so I don't think it would be a problem.. dunno, maybe some more input needed here :) I know next to nothing on electricity.
But like Mark, my main concern is long periods of no circulation if I were to go on vacation and the gfci were to trip. Or even while I am at work during the day. Same thought on the closed loop pump...
Am I just inviting disaster here with this thinking?
Mike

pista01

I'm no expert by a long shot, but doesn't GFCIs work better with a ground probe? Or is that just an alternative path instead of your body?

DarkDruid

There is alot better way to have the GFI protection without as many nuisance trips. If you have a little electrical knowledge, you can do it yourself. They make GFI breakers for your breaker box. One GFI breaker will protect everything on the circuit without having to buy several GFI outlets or the more expensive GFI extension cords.

mps9506

Originally posted by DarkDruid
There is alot better way to have the GFI protection without as many nuisance trips. If you have a little electrical knowledge, you can do it yourself. They make GFI breakers for your breaker box. One GFI breaker will protect everything on the circuit without having to buy several GFI outlets or the more expensive GFI extension cords.

This is what I have at my store.
The only reason I don't like it, is that when I have one faulty item, it cuts EVERYTHING on the circuit out. Then it becomes a game of figureing out which item is faulty.
Last thing I want is a bad heater tripping the gfci and cutting my pump off for three days.

johnlewis

You need the combination of a GFCI and an ground probe to stop stray electrical current. The GFCI will stop you from becoming a ground in the event the electricity is passed from the electrical appliance to you without going through the water. If the electricity is isolated to just the water a GFCI will not trip I have experienced this in the past now I have both. Now If you can you should run your pumps on a separate circuit with a GFCI, and everything else on another GFCI circuit. Both circuits should also have ground probes. Now if that can not be done you should run everything on on a GFCI and maybe if you are concerned put the pump on a separate circuit with a power strip surge suppressor for vacations.

By the way I am not an electrician but have wired many things including houses, commercial buildings and machines, and do not take responsibility for your actions.

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
I have my entire tank plugged into GFCI .. I feel it is much more important to shut off the electricity than to have a fire. It costs more to replace the house than the tank!