Alveopora needs help

jimeluiz

Since we got back from our vacation our poor alveopora has not looked good. Only about 30% of it extends during the day. The far right (see pic) looks like it is dying.

I asked at one of our lfs (Eddie at Tropical Paradise) and he suggested I put the coral in an iodine bath and scrub off the 'affected' (read: dead) area with a toothbrush and reintroduce back into the tank. His opinion is that it has an infection and the infected area should be scraped away.

Before I scour the poor thing --- what do you all think?

Thanks. Here's a pic.

jks1

I just got a grren one the other day so Im by no means an expert. Before I scrubbed it I would try dircting some flow at it and see if any material would dislodge. JMO

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Unfortunately alveopora are suppose to be a little hardier than gonaporia but their survival rate is quite poor. Once they start they are pretty well gone.

I wish you well with this one.

BoomerD

There doesn't seem to be too much good news about this coral. Most of the "experts" agree that it's a difficult coral at best.
Tidal Gardens/Alevopora

"Alveopora are among the most delicate corals available in the hobby today. They will appear to survive for 6 months to a year (just long enough to lull the aquarist into a sense of accomplishment) and then suddenly crash. "

"Alveopora have been kept under all types of conditions, varying light levels, varying degrees of tank cleanliness, etc. and most colonies still manage to die off soon after the first year of captivity. "

jimeluiz

They will appear to survive for 6 months to a year (just long enough to lull the aquarist into a sense of accomplishment) and then suddenly crash

You got that right! Sigh. We'll see. I have scrubbed/scraped away the deteriorating area. Perhaps she will come back. But I am hearing the bells toll.

Not quite one year into having critters in the tank we are learning about the difference between bringing home the most beautiful specimine at the lfs and congregating a sustainable environment.

I'll keep you posted as to our progress.

Thanks all.

wooddood

the wood dude
well good luck with it i hope it comes back. but am also with everyone else, i dont give it much hope of survival. so i hope you prove us all wrong. good luck. [dave].