Althea's 90 Gallon.....

althea2you

The self piercing thingy is called a "saddle valve" so you'll know what to ask for when you go to the store and ask for one. They are easy to install and you do need one.
I'm sure your piping is absolutely gorgeous, so let's see it. :wink wink back atcha:

sick of the fish store??!! WTH!

yeah i know... but its aways a way... and i have to make the trips WAY too often!!! for fresh water to top off with... getting sick of that part!

saddle valve! yes thats it! LOL... i thought i remember someone saying something about it only being able to be used on a certain type of pipe... here is a pic...

the cold water pipes behind our washer
washerplumbing2.jpg

and this is the drain the water from the washer drain into.. should i put my waste water line from the RO unit here? tia!

washerplumbing1.jpg

Jason25

It is used on copper pipes but I am not sure if the piece inbetween the fitting is copper or not it's hard to tell. You can just run your waste wter in the washer drain.

framerguy

If the saddel valve won't work on that pipe (it looks like galvanized) then you could add a short section of PVC pipe (with proper fittings on each end) to the spigot and tap into that.

Do you have a septic tank or city sewage? If it's a septic tank it may cause problems, you may just want to run the waste into a container outside the house (1/4" hose through the wall) and use it to water the flowers and such. If it's city connected then it's not an issue but you may want to save it and use it anyway.

fishnu

See my response in your other post. Octoman's hardware recommendation is right. Use a "y" on your cold water spigot, run one side to washer and the other to the ro/di using an 1/4 " adaptor.

Don't use a saddle.

framerguy

Saddles arent' bad, it's what I use. BUT, I really like the "Y" idea a lot and would go that way if I were you. I'd still try to save the waste water for something else. It such a waste to waste the waste water:dance:

fishnu

Saddles arent' bad, it's what I use. BUT, I really like the "Y" idea a lot and would go that way if I were you. I'd still try to save the waste water for something else. It such a waste to waste the waste water:dance:

With the spigot there, use it!

Also, make water while you're doing laundry and run the waste water into the washer. Just remember to turn it off before the spin and back on during the next cycle.

framerguy

With the spigot there, use it!

Also, make water while you're doing laundry and run the waste water into the washer. Just remember to turn it off before the spin and back on during the next cycle.
Exactly! My mind didn't jump to the "Y", I really wish it had because that's great advice.

Using the waste water for laundry would also be a great idea. We water plants with ours since there is a outdoor water ban here and can't be obvious about it. The water goes into a rain barrel outside.

althea2you

ok, i will go with the "Y" as for the waste water.. it will just have to be waste... i have the new front loader washer and dryers... so i dont think there is a way to add the water... and they use little water as it... soooo thanks though!! and i will definitly go with the Y then. one prob.. the piece i have that connects the tubing to the plumbing... it doesnt lock the tubing in place.. it was the only think they had so i grabbed it, but the tube goes in.. the things tightens.. but it doesnt tighten the tube?...

oh and greg, we have city sewers, no septics here...

Octoman

Can you put up a pic of the fitting sarah? There should be an insert that goes into the end of the tube and a lock nut to tighten the tube in place - Sometimes you have to snug them down pretty tight.

althea2you

Can you put up a pic of the fitting sarah? There should be an insert that goes into the end of the tube and a lock nut to tighten the tube in place - Sometimes you have to snug them down pretty tight.

hey mark... thyis is what i have... i have a pic of it all together and a pic of it all apart.. all the pieces how they go in order... it just doesnt seem to tighten enough to hold the tube tight.. maybe i just need to get it all connected, then tighten it with a wrench or something... here they are:

tubingconnector1.jpg

tubingconnector.jpg

tbittner

Put the tube through the nut. Slide the brass ring onto the tube and have about 1/4" sticking out the other end. Then tight the nut onto the spigot end. Use a wrench to tighten it snug but don't over tighten it because it will compress the tube so much that water won't be able to get through.

althea2you

ok, cool, thank you!!! glad i got the right thing.. what i was doing was, i had the center piece in the part you screw on and the nut already screwed on a bit to it...then i stuck the tube in and tightened and i could pull the tube right out, well, with more ease then i felt i should have been able to.. thanks terry, Mark, Greg and John! much appreciated for the help... i wouldnt know what to do with oout(wait is that my impression of sass?LOL) you all here! seriously im so lame when it comes to anything like this.. electrical, building something out of wood.. i can do.. with some direction... this i literally have to have my hand held or done for me.. :p

althea2you

ok, so because i got lazy... and went to a different LFS that is closer to me.. instead of the one i always go to for my freshwater...(ro still not hooked up :p) i got fresh from this other place... and after using up 1, 5 gallon bucket... i notice this algae with bubbles on it growing on my rocks some on the corals on the sand... wtf... i remembered triggerjays dino problem and went to that thread.. looked up dinos on the web.. and im pretty sure i have dinos... pretty early stage.. but is this something i can nip in the bud without it getting too bad? im not using the top off water now, because i tested the phosphats in it and the phosphates measured at .25-.5

that is literally the only change i have made in my system....and of course the trumpets i got were from this LFS too.... the last coral i put in there....figures... ok... so RO unit is getting hooked up TOMORROW!! is there something i should do now? like water change?... can i suction this stuff off? what do i need to do... here are some pics of it... i believe i need to decrease the phot period.... i am going to order my phosban reactor tomrrow as well when i get that should i run it on the tank right away? will that help? thanks for any help you can offer up...

Dinos2.jpg

Dinos1.jpg

3Dinos3.jpg