ALK question

mtsully71

Looking for some advice

Been changing 10 gallons a week of RC salt, salinity 1.025, temp 79, PH 8.1-8.2. Now before I ask the question, magnesium, calcium, phosphates and nitrates are all good. I am wet skimming and the coral is healthy and growing. I am not dosing or adding anything to tweak levels.

Question: My alk each week for the past month is between 6.2 and 6.4. Should I bump it to the 7-8 range or if it's working leave it alone.

I am inclined not to mess with it.

thanks

Sully

frisbee

Just leave it alone...

I'm in the same boat you are right now. Although I'm only using an API test kit, it always seems to ring up at about 6, yet all of the corals in the tank including the sps look great. Calcium & magnesium levels are well within limits as well.

Marty.h

I use to get away with just water changes but as I added more SPS I was struggling to keep it stable due to consumption so had to then dose via a doser I use the balling method which has worked well and I've had no need to change any water in 6 weeks or more as that also adds trace elements as well as Alk,Mag,Calcium.

Just keep an eye on your levels key is stability if you can manage that with water changes a bonus if it gets to the point you can't and it starts swinging look at dosing then :)

DaveK

... Now before I ask the question, magnesium, calcium, phosphates and nitrates are all good. ..
Question: My alk each week for the past month is between 6.2 and 6.4. Should I bump it to the 7-8 range or if it's working leave it alone...

Generally your are best leaving things alone, but it's not possible to tell for sure, because you didn't post exact readings for the other parameters. Just saying they are good does not convey any information. What seems good to you might indicate a problem to someone else.

mtsully71

Generally your are best leaving things alone, but it's not possible to tell for sure, because you didn't post exact readings for the other parameters. Just saying they are good does not convey any information. What seems good to you might indicate a problem to someone else.

here you go Dave, calcium 410-420, phosphates .005, nitrate less than 5, magnesium 1420-1440 anything else you need? Pre-water change numbers of course