ALK is to low

kyle1284

My Alk is TO LOW right now its at 2.5 and mEq/L and it needs to be at 3-4 mEq/L for a gaurentee on the fish from my LFS. I have been using Kent Marine Superbuffer-dKH and it seems to be making no dent in the Alk HELP!
trates-0
Amoina-0
Calicum-390
refractometer reading 1.024

I use Seachem Reef Builder. One tbsp per gallon of top off water every other week. Alk is steady at 4.35 meg/L and after extended use PH remains constant at 8.2:eek:

Warnberg

Kyle, first don't panic and start adding a bunch of stuff to the water. Something seems amiss here, USUALLY with low alk level you will have a high calc level but you are saying you have a calc level of 390. So What is your Ph running? Also what kind of test kits are you using? One last question what salt are you using?

prow

My Alk is TO LOW right now its at 2.5 and mEq/L and it needs to be at 3-4 mEq/L for a gaurentee on the fish from my LFS. I have been using Kent Marine Superbuffer-dKH and it seems to be making no dent in the Alk HELP!
trates-0
Amoina-0
Calicum-390
refractometer reading 1.024
not bad. do need your ph readings. i dont know why your fish store will not give the gaurentee with a alk of 2.5, sence that is what NSW levels are. your Ca is fine too. both your Ca and alk are with in normal levels. yes, on the low side of the normal ranges but still in the normal ranges. here is a link for ya that should help you out.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

the only correction i see you need is just start adding/using a balanced Ca/alk sup. lots to choose, 2 part soulutions, lime water, reactors ect....still your ph plays its roll. follow some of the links in the article they lead to some real good readings.

kyle1284

thanks everyone for all the replies!

mempho reefer Thanks for the info!

Warnberg my Ph is somewhere between 8.0 and 8.2, im using an Instant Ocean Reef Master Test kit and i WAS using Oceanic Salt but for x mas i got a 200 gallon jug of Kent Marine Sea Salt and did my first 5 gallon weekly water change last week in due for one tomorrow.

lcstorc i do not have a magnesium test yet because i have not gotten into reefing hardcore should i get a mag test yet?... but as im understanding how to properly reef (BECAUSE OF REEF SANCTUARY!!:snshne: ) I have sloweld started to gather some zoos and a xeina and there doing just fine for now. Thanks for the link by the way!

Witfullthats right and im gonna ride that wave as long as i can... thats how they got me coming back! :laugh:

Last edited: