Alk 1.7 and PH 8.6

How is this possible. I have a feeling my tests are no longer usefull to me. I have tested this several times before and after a water change and got the same reading.

I have two cleaner shrimp that molt about once a month and appear healthy and eat like the pigs they are

I have two clowns that are coloured up very nicely and show no signs of stress and do a little shimmy dance over rocks every once in a while.

I have a frogspawn that inflates very well and one of the mouths spilt into two (which I think if it were understress would not do this), my torch coral inflates wonderfullly as well and has gotten larger since we got it a couple of months ago

I have sea stars that are growing like weeds and are currently 4" in diameter and seem to have found the best eating places in the house

I have pods swimming everywhere, I cant look through one rock without seeing swarms of them

My galaxy, leather, and xenia are doing fine too.

Is it possible to have these readings be true readings and if so, what should I look at in my tank to realize this.

I have spent the last couple of weeks off and on trying to read up on the net about these readings, but nothing I find gives me information on low alk and high PH.

By the way - according to my test the Calcium is 450. And all other readings (nitrite, ate, amonia) are at 0.

oh, and not sure if this makes a difference or not but we use Instant Ocean salt.

Well, I went and purchased a different name brand PH and Alk kit tonight. I did the test about 30-40minutes after only the actinics were on and the results are as follows:

PH 8.1
Alk 6.5 MEQ/L

So much for the money I spent on the original!!

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Now your Alk is really high ;)

Do not add any form of buffer till get gets lower.