***algae, water changes & activated carbon***

RedSeaHorse

I so far had a mostly successfull rsm250, but I am now getting more brown algae than I have bargained for. I have had the aquarium up and running for a year so the lamps I believe will need changed. I am now a bit paranoid how much activated carbon I should be using. I thought ml=grams but I don't know if I have been putting in too much or too little. Any advice on this and if the light change doesn't work, advice on brown algae and finally I have a top up system replacing 20-25 litres of fresh non salty water every week. I do the odd 18 litre saltwater change, is this good.enough? Or should I be changing more salty water on a more regular.basis? Any help and advice will be much appreciated:)

Tokalosh

Start with changing out you lamps, I know that I get a little brown algae when my lamps are over a year old.
You can never have to much carbon, I use about a cup in my reactor and 2 x bags of CPE which I change out every 3 months.
Also keep an eye on the amount of food you feed this will also contribute to high phosphate levels.

I'm sure more people will chime in and provide you with more advice.

Tok

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Great advice above^^^^

When you say " I do the odd 18 litre saltwater change..." I take it that you are not doing this weekly. If so, I would start doing weekly water changes of 10%.

RedSeaHorse

Thanks for the advice guys, thias helps, can't believe each bulb about £25. Is there any t5 bulbs cheaper, that can do a good enough job?

Tokalosh

I would not skimp when it comes to good quality T5, otherwise you will end up with more on your plate than you can deal with. If you hunt around you can get them for £19.00 on eBay.

Tok