Algae type thing ID needed

F355GTB

I noticed this on my LR when I first got it when I setup my nano. It hasn't done much growing until the last few weeks when it exploded into what you see in the picture. It's very firm to touch so I believe it's some type of calcerous algae. My questions are what is it and is it bad?

Thanks for all of your help!

John

BoomerD

It looks to me to be one of the Sargassum species of macro algae. Not necessarily a bad thing if kept under control, but I've known a few people who let it get away from them, and it took over their tanks for a while. Sure looks nice though! I had several sprouts growing in my 90 gallon last year, and between my Kole tang & emerald crab, they completely wiped it out.

F355GTB

Thanks Boomer. It definitely adds variety & somethin unique to the aquarium. Do you have any idea why it would have grown so quick all of a sudden? Excess nutrients in the water possibly? Could it be an indicator of chemistry being off? Thanks again for your help!

John

Witfull

your nitrates have prolly started to increase now thsat the tank has cycled. it will bve a natural exporter of P4, NO3 and other waste products as you prune it.

caja

Definately sargassum, more than likely the Lobophora variety. It's not an indicator of your chemistry being off, rather that things are going well. It's not really useful for nutrient export, but is a nice addition to the tank.

I had some growing in my 7.5 at one time and it was a pretty fast grower until I introduced some red leg hermits and an emerald crab that made short work of it

I have the same stuff growing in my tank, except about 10 times that size. The most interesting thing is everone talks about tangs eating all of there algae. I have 1 Indian mimic tang, 2 Yellow Tangs, and 2 Purple Tangs...they might nip at it every once in awhile but for the most part it just grows and grows. One of my turbo snails ate some of the new growth when I introduced it to my tank on one of my rocks and I think it doubled in size, the Turbo that is...lol Put a saddle on that guy and go for a ride.

Mine is getting to that prunning stage...Does anyone know if it is like other algae...prune it and then it starts poping up in other places? Like that wonderful hair algae that everyonme loves...lol