Algae Scrubber

dgilbert2

Assuming I could fit either, which is preferred in a reef system?

a) Algae Scrubber?
b) Protein Skimmer?

DaveK

Having used both over the years, both separately and together, my strong preference is toward a skimmer if your only going to use only one. Using both together can be even better. Also consider adding a refugium.

Using an algae scrubber alone can also work, but I found some limitations in doing that.

Others will have different opinions and they are not necessarily wrong. There are many wasy you can go here and still have a great reef system.

dgilbert2

Thanks for your feedback. Will need to do some more research before making a final decision.

Floyd R Turbo

RS Sponsor
I have run 2 tanks for several years with only a scrubber. I would say that it can be done but that strongly depends on the the system - mainly, related to corals you will be keeping IMO.

FO of FOWLR, my opinion is you can go scrubber only.

Skimmer + scrubber is a good combo. One thing to remember with skimmers is that you don't want one that is too big for your system (regardless of any other filtration) as it may not work optimally. One thing that I have recommended is that when you put a scrubber and a skimmer together, you can "de-rate" both of them to a degree. So lets say you feed 3 cubes/day to a 120 gallon tank. Normally you would put on a 36 sq in scrubber (3 cube/day) or a skimmer rated for a 120, or maybe a 150g tank. Instead you might put on a 24 sq in scrubber (2 cube/day) and a skimmer rated for a 75 or 100g tank.

But then lets say you are going to stock heavy in SPS. Then I would error high on both - 3 cube/day scrubber and 150g rated skimmer

Of course, the scrubber "rating" or "capacity" will depend greatly on construction. If you're DIYing one, and you're in doubt, add a little to the size and make sure you have enough light and flow (and a rough enough screen)