Algae scrubber vs Refugium

Brucey

Originally posted by Gina
Are you referring to the magnets and such that clean off the algae from the glass or something else

Gina. LOL. I thought the same as you upto 6 months ago. Now you know too. Brucey

Flatlander

Originally posted by NaH2O
I've read that ATS systems that do not use a skimmer seem to be very yellow. What has your experience shown? Just curious as to what effects the use of ATS by itself without any other forms of filtration would have.

Never in my case. Likely because I also run a skimmer. When running the scrubber alone, I also used carbon, so again no water discolouration.

David

Nope, no water discolouration here, and no skimmer. But the water passing through was quite high. Also, no specific algae grown; it started off as an experiment, so whatever grew, grew.

And yeah, I suppose a refugium would do a similar thing, but an algae scrubber is all work no show. It's not really something you'd like to sit in your lounge room. And even small setups can be quite effective, because of the fact that every bit of room is taken up.

Flatlander

David, the unit I have, is made to sit on the top/back of ones tank. They are a very nice looking piece of equipment, that would match a black acrylic light hood.

I have always wondered if a higher flow through the scrubber would be better. Nikki, did you see how much flow Inland was passing through theirs?

mps9506

One thing to keep in mind with a fuge system vs. ATS, is that refugiums provide a nice food source for you main tank.
When I had a fuge I would just shake the chaeto and the pods would go scurrying everywhere and eventually get sucked up by the return pump into the main tank...

haha true. The wierd thing was that before I made the refugium, I had (and still have) a massive pod and/or mysis shrimp population. After I added the refugium, the population d#$% near multiplied 10x fold. Now instead of seeing into my refugium from the sides, I have to look from the top because the pods are everywhere :eek: not to mention having to see the rock pretty much have legs and walking around ;) - Once I get the chaeto to grow about 3 more times its size (got it when it was the size of a quarter, now its the size of a very large grapfruit), then I can try an experiment of a refugium but with an ATS design under water. Basically buy sewing mesh sheets, have them slightly tilted (so the entire one side receives light, though the top will get more the the bottom) with the chaeto spread on these sheets and attached to it. This way the water HAS to pass though it instead of it passing it in other ways, like over the top of by the sides. When I build it I will take pics and post it. This design will also make getting tubular powercompacts very efficient.

David

Flatlander, I don't think a high flow rate is better, but it gets rid of that discolouration that you can sometimes get, and that slimey looking algae doesn't seem to dig it either. Maybe it just ends up somewhere else, but hey, the fact that you could load your tanks up with fish up the whazoo, it was a nice little bonus.

Flatlander

I do notice more "snot" algae, when my flow is slower.

There is a good thread running on Erics forum, {at RC}, regarding the use of calerpa v turf algae. Or even having calerpa type algaes in ones reef tank.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Originally posted by Flatlander

I have always wondered if a higher flow through the scrubber would be better. Nikki, did you see how much flow Inland was passing through theirs?

Doug, I really don't know what the flow was through their ATS. I believe the water was taken up via a screw pump (?) and gravity fed into the scrubbers (I think I have this right?). Here is a shot of the screw pump:

Couldn't get the image to attach, so here is the thread:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...15&highlight=inland and aquatics&pagenumber=3

Last edited: