Algae scrubber vs Refugium

Alright... I have started reading again and from what I can gather it seems that algae scrubbers are more suggested for fish only tanks than for reef tanks. I currently have a refugium.. but is what I am reading factual.. or are algae scrubbers less efficicient.. more efficient or no different for reef tanks? thanks

Gina

RS STAFF
Are you referring to the magnets and such that clean off the algae from the glass or something else? If it's the scrubbers, alot of people use them on their tanks and they have reefs. If your referring to something else and I am just too duh, let me know what it is. Anyway, this will give you a bump.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Gina, algae scrubbers are something different. Let me do some reading this morning, and I'll jump back on this thread. My head feels like it is going to burst, so I'll be back later. I've seen algae scrubbers for reef tanks. I guess my first question is what are you (not necessarily you, just anyone) looking to gain from either?

well the samr things as a refugium, just that I have read that it filters out a lot more than a refugium, but causes nutrient poor conditions, which is one of the thihngs that is shying me awa from the topic. Thus far I have decided against this and though of something else to do filtration wise.. using the refugium I have. Thanks Nikki :)

wooddood

the wood dude
we use {nutra sea] marine tank scrubber it's a liquid form by customsealife and it takes care of algea really well for us.if thats what your talking about.

Cougra

He's talking about a terf algae scrubber that uses the same princible of a ref with caulerpa but uses Turf algaes instead.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Yea Algae turf scrubbers is basically a small tank (or simular) with a screen placed on an angle over top of it. you promote the growth of turf/hair algae on it. As the water comes out the drain of the tank it travels over the algae laidened screen removing the nutrients as they pass over. then you harvest the algae in order to do the exporting.

I am not a big fan of using algae period but let see if I can find Doug for you, he has used a ATS for years.

Mike

Imperator

I used a DIY version of a turf scrubber after I first read of them about 10 years ago.
I wasn't impressed at the time as we had algae problems right after.

DO NOT take that as a con as the lighting was insufficent as well as the flow through the trays.I was basically an half hearted experiment.

I would chose the Refugium which I have no experience with.I think there is alot more you can do with that type of setup in choices of plants,LR,the "Mud" type beds.Even mangrove shoots;)

Gina

RS STAFF
Always learning something new! Thanks also for the info as I was not sure what it was he was talking about!

Imperator

Originally posted by mojoreef
Yea Algae turf scrubbers is basically a small tank (or simular) with a screen placed on an angle over top of it. you promote the growth of turf/hair algae on it. As the water comes out the drain of the tank it travels over the algae laidened screen removing the nutrients as they pass over. then you harvest the algae in order to do the exporting.

I am not a big fan of using algae period but let see if I can find Doug for you, he has used a ATS for years.

Mike

One thing I heard and read that bears mentioning is that you want a reverse photoperiod on the scrubber.

You may have a drop in Oxygen and PH that could be dangerous,been awhile so I may be mistaken.

Flatlander

Pic of the screen from my turf scrubber. To understand the difference, one needs to read Adeys book. The turf algae is said to be more efficient, because its turf algae and not a claerpa type algae. {debatable}. It grows on a screen thats barely covered in water. As the screen/tray fills, and then dumps, the algae is exposed to lots of air also, not to mention the back and forth movement from the water.

Lots on turf scrubbers on some posts we had on RC. I,m sure a search would turn up an evenings readings. We had a dandy on Erics forum, a year or so ago.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Aaahhh - I'm back, and glad to see so many responses. My understanding as to why you would find an ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber) on a fish only tank more often than a reef tank, is because the messy eaters creating more of a nutrient problem than you would find in a reef tank. I also thought that an ATS needed to be on a much larger scale than refugiums with macros. The algae in ATS are different than macros in a refugium because when it comes time to harvest the 'fuge, you could get pieces from the turf algae into the main system, which could spread it creating a problem in your display (someone correct me if this statement is wrong). Basically, IMO, if you keep your detritus in the water column to be removed by a properly sized protein skimmer, turkey basting rocks to get rid of build-up, and try not to overfeed - you won't need to worry about excess nutrients. Make sense? (if not I'll blame it on the cold medicine I'm taking ;) ).

Awesome pic Doug...how large is that and how large is the system? Do you also run a protein skimmer?

Flatlander

The screen is 10in. by 24in. The scrubber I have is rated for 250g. Currently running on my 75g cube. It was on my 225g reef. I have never had much luck running it alone, as the sole source of filtration. Many others have, esp. Inland Aquatics. Usually I run it in cojunction with a skimmer, currently an MR3.

For sure I never have any measurable amount of phosphates, nitrites, nitrates or ammonia. No matter how much I feed.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Cool, Doug! I actually had the opportunity to see Inland Aquatics' algae scrubbers in action. Theirs are large due to the large systems they are on, so I wondered what type of scale you can use in a home system. On one system there are 3 that alternate creating a great wave action.

Flatlander

My surge is not to bad, but less than the original. It arrived from Florida, with the body broken into several pieces. After a hopeless battle from here, trying to make a claim, I gave up. We built a new body from glass, so the dump chute is modified.

I still use the original dump tray and all, plus the acrylic top with a pair of 55w PC,s. Its been running close to 3 yrs. now, on several different tanks.

I tried the large sump/refugium/calerpa thing, before and it never worked well for me. See sump here
http://reefcentral.com/totm/2001-04 on my old 170g.

David

I'm definately an advocate for the algae scrubber. Have seen one used in a commerical application as the sole source of filtration. Also, some major water wildlife parks also use them as their sole form of filtration. My personal experience with them has been that they are particularly good for keeping water stable.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I've read that ATS systems that do not use a skimmer seem to be very yellow. What has your experience shown? Just curious as to what effects the use of ATS by itself without any other forms of filtration would have.

tankgirl

I thought algal scrubbing referred to any method of growing algae to export nutrients - including caulerpa, etc.
So, if you have a fuge, it can also act as an algal scrubber and often does.
Whether turf algae vs. other algaes work better, I don't know. Actually, I read that xenia works better than any algae.