Algae Problems

noe1146

hi Everyone. I have tried posts in general discussion and meet and greet and have had no luck. I have a 55 gallon reef tank since december. I have a huge algae problem and a lot of aptaisias. Fish seem to disappear and crabs either dont eat the agae or they die. My water paremeters are good. PH 8.4-8.8, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, and salinity is a little high at 1.030. Please tell me what to do because i am considering starting over. Keeping the fish of course.

IamELMO

How old is your tank? Algae is a normal part of the cycle if the tank is new. Agreed the salinity is high but I wouldn't think that'd contribute to the algae. Ph also seems a bit high but not a major in itself either.

Algae will use nitrate and phosphate and if the problem is bad - it'll use those two fast enough that the results will probably read low (or 0 depending on the kit).

Depending on the type of algae, the main thing is husbandry - keep the water changes up, 20-30% weekly or more often if you like, siphon what you can during WC and wait it out. Some algae's won't go away by themselves (read bryopsis) and neither will aiptasia. Both will need chemical treatment or natural predation.

Good luck and don't give up

yvr

You can try and siphon out what you can to remove the algae in the short term. Algae problems are usually caused by aquarium water with excess nutrients like phosphate, nitrates etc. In the long term you may have to examine how you care for your tank. There are some commercial dry foods also contain excess nutrients and other undesirable things like nitrates, phosphates etc so I strain/rinse my fresh/frozen foods before feeding my tank. You may want to consider feeding your fish less often. Also using RO/DI water and a high quality salt with little if any NO3, phosphates etc like Tropic Marin will really help too. Adding a phosphate remover, a more efficient protein skimmer and increasing flow in your tank plus controlling your photo period (how long your lights are on for) help should all help too.