Algae Problems

jesse_224

Ok, here is my problem. For the last month and a half I have been fighting bubble algae pretty bad. I also have some hair algae, but not too bad. Last week I decided to take all of my LR out of my tank and clean the algae off. It has been pretty successful so far. The hair algae has decided to try and smother out my GSP though. How do I get the algae off my coral? The GSP are not hardly opening anymore.

Here are my param. as of today.

SG 1.026
PH 8.0
Temp. 79
Cal. 518
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Kh (I didnt get this one tested)
Phos. 0

I run my 96w quad coralife 50/50 from 10am to 8pm and my 15w actinic from 8pm to 10pm. Both of the bulbs are about a month old. I do not use a skimmer (i dont have anywhere to put one.) But i do weekly water changes of 10-15%. Oh yeah, my tank is about 11 months old. Why am I having such a problem with this algae? I think I have been over feeding a little (Its hard to say no when they beg me for it.) But for the last two weeks I have cut way back on the amount of food. Anyone have any ideas? This algae is driving me nuts!

Last edited:

lcstorc

Try cutting back your lighting schedule. It just sounds kind of long to me and I know algae loves light.

jesse_224

Will do....anyone else have ideas? I test every week and my nitrate and phos are always 0.......why does this algae not die?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hey Jesse,Personally Im terrible with links but pos comes to mind as some element of it dosent register with our kits so you can have it but not know it,try using the pads,the other thing is what kind of flow do you have? Steve

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
:lol: couldnt help myself, look in reef chemistry phoshates, now I have to learn how to paste

lcstorc

Ok phosphates I know. The thread says there are 0 phosphates. Are you referring to the organic vs inorganic phosphates? I have read Boomer discuss that several times so maybe that is where I am lost.
lol Guess I am just too tired right now. I can look for some links in the morning.

Tuna

are the little green bubbles poping? i think if you pop those suckers they spread spores oor somethinkg like that

jesse_224

For flow I have a Mini-jet 606 as a return from my sump. Its pumping about
90 gph. I also have an aquaclear 20 powerhead pumping about 125 gph. My tank is a normal 10 gal tank.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I used to have a bad case of the Ventricaria ventricosa variety :eek: Manual removal and limiting their food (nitrAtes and phosphates) eventually removed them from my tank! Trying an emerald crab proved disasterous when it only chewed on my branching gorgonian :(

Bookmark this site --> Bubble Algae

Good luck and keep plucking ;)

jesse_224

Thanks for all of the advice. When i was removing the bubbles I did have two or three break on my first attempt. I know that makes it worse but it happened...now i have to live with it :( LOL anyways......I will cut back on the lighting. A skimmer is out of the question for now. I have one but it is too big. Again thanks for all of the suggestions.

Oh yeah, I did add an emerald crab to see how it works. I only have a few shrooms and a couple of GSP colonies so I dont think he can hurt much.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Jesse, I thought about your posts today and remembered you saying you only use DI water,if thats true the lack of an RO filter may be part of your problem. Steve

jesse_224

Yes, I use DI water. If you think that could be a problem I could probably fix that easily. I guess what I dont understand is how the algae is growing.....and not only growing, but growing out of control when my parameters are good?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Jesse. DI water means its somewhat distilled and the ions removed, this does not remove the other organic compounds that are the likely cause of you problem. do you have a DI filter set up or are you buying bottled water? if its bottled find a store that sells RO as this is much cleaner, you can get a DI resin filter to finish it off