Algae problem

AngieRN

Ok, I need help! I have a several types of algae in my tank and I don't know why :( I have diatoms, bubble algae, red slime algae, Cyanobacteria, and (I think) hair algae!

Here are my current parameters:
Nitrates: 0
Phosphates: 0
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.023
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Temp: 76-78

I'm using a ecoxotic panoramic LED fixture for reef tank and my protein skimmer is working properly. Does anyone know what the problem might be and how to fix it? Ignore the aptasia; I'm currently treating it with joe's juice & peppermint shrimp :)

Hair algae
imagejpg3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Red slime & some cyano (?)

Bubble algae

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
What do you have for a clean up crew? What are your water params? What do you feed and how often? What's your water source?

:)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I meant how are you testing your water params, what kind of kits!?!?

AngieRN

What do you have for a clean up crew? I have 10-15 blue leg hermits, 20+ Astraea snails, ~8 Mexican turbo snails, an urchin, a serpent star, a brittle star, 2 peppermint shrimp, an emerald crab, several (not sure how many) certify snails, and a fighting conch. I also have a yellow tang and a scribbled rabbitfish that graze all day. What are your water params? These are listed above, but everything is within normal range. I also forgot to include KH, which is ~10 and calcium, which is 380 ( a little low) What do you feed and how often? Frozen shrimp twice a week and newlife spectrum twice per day. What's your water source? I only use RO/DI water.

:)

That should say cerith snails, not certify, lol

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Pick the bubble algae off being careful not to break them and toss in trash. Water source?? RO/DI??

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Darn, all sounds good. Maybe it's just leaching from your rocks.

AngieRN

It's really got me scratching my head, :banghead: lol...and it's growing and spreading every day!! I've had this tank for about 8 years and I've never seen anything like this!

AngieRN

Yes, it started about 3-4 weeks ago, and I did switch my lights around the same time...I had 2-250w metal halides and switched to the panoramic LEDs

Oxylebius

Yes, it started about 3-4 weeks ago, and I did switch my lights around the same time...I had 2-250w metal halides and switched to the panoramic LEDs

Culprit? New light spectrum set off the algae?

Correlation does not imply causation, but it sure seems like it here.

AngieRN

Right now, lights are on ~ 10hrs/day. Should I reduce it to maybe 6-7 hrs to see if that helps?

On a positive note, I was able to gently remove all the bubble algae except 3 little ones that I can't reach. Maybe the emerald crab will take care of those...