Algae on Sand

adamsfour

I have a 35 RSM tank that has been up and running for over 5 years. The tank is doing very well. All of the parameters are within Norm. The only problem I have is the sand bed continues to accumulate algae. I do water changes every week, clean the sand bed and a week later it back. Doesn't really get worse or better. This is only effecting the sandbed. One idea I contemplated was replacing the sand with fresh. I might add I have a second 35 RSM and it not have the same problems. Had anyone had a similar problem or can make a recommendation. I would prefer a nature solution not chemical.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
You say your levels are normal, but something is fueling the algae... You could try cutting back on your feeding a bit to see if that helps...

...."Fish" Happens!....

Alien2100

Has your water flow changed recently, and what are your levels? Have you ever done a very thorough cleaning of the tank? Like using a small power head to clean out debris from behind the rocks, or even removing some rocks and shaking them clean in a small bucket of clean saltwater. I've found this helps to do at least once a year, even if I'm only using the power head to clean behind the rocks. Over the years live rock and sand alike will absorb a lot of organic material, this helps to remove those organics. Or more to the point allow you to remove them with a water change, along with your filtration.

immerume2

My guess would be you lighting is going bad. How much time do u have on ur bulbs. Might need replacing. Just a guess though of course.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2