algae ID

semigodd154

I know its not the specific family but the pic looks the same as yours hopefully you can make it out it says tangs will make quick work of a large amount of this in 24 hours I grow it in my refugium to feed to my tangs it does grow pretty quick but not as fast as caulerpa.any way HTH
Shaun

semigodd154

sorry i didnt realize the algae was in a 15 i have seen people with bigger tanks that will pull a small tang out of the main tank they have and put it in a nano for a week or 2 for some algae work but they also have themain tank to put the fish back in it seems to me it would be easier to bring the rock with the algae on it to the tang if you know someone with a tang maybe you could swap some rocks out for a little while it would be less stress for the fish. HTH

Shaun

ScottT1980

I would say a yellow tang might be hit or miss. As far as herbivores, if you were to try a fish, then I would go with a foxface. However, getting one in and out of a 15 gallon tank might be more trouble than its worth. Can you remove portions of rock at a time and put in tanks with tangs/foxfaces/any herbivores? THat is what I did with a few of my rocks that had the red algae. My foxface took care of everything else in the tank, or at least keeps it in check...

Good luck
Scott T.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Teri

No, just buy the big pricy one :D

South Pacific Reef Plants?

That is a new book, haven't seen it before but it is by Littler & Littler. I'll call Dave tomorrow and order it. There is only on book out that is good on Pacific algae and I think this one will go beyond that :D I see there is a new book out on Polyclads, I'll get that one too

drdrew

so iam desperate now...the algae has totally taken over and is suffocating some of my corals...it grows and spreads much faster than i can prune it. i believe it is chondria.
i have no alternative other than finding a small tang or foxface to try and eat it. luckily, my LFS is willing to let me borrow any fish i need to deal with this. currently available are small yellow tangs.
should i even try one of these? should i look for another species of tang (a baby of course)...should i wait for a foxface? i only want to do this once if possible...because obviously getting fish in and out of this tank is going to be a chore to say the least.

please make recommendations on fish for me in order of greatest likelihood to eat this stuff gone. it's everywhere, and will be the demise of my tank if i can't get it under control.

ScottT1980

I think a foxface is a 100% sure thing (where as a yellow tang is not). If you want to try a tang, I would take a rock with the algae on it or at least some of the algae to your LFS to see if the tangs are interested.

JMO

Take er easy
Scott T.

ScottT1980

Correct sir...IMO, the very best, generalistic herbivore in the hobby...

My only suggestion is that you might want to have a plan to remove the guy once he is introduced into your tank. THey are skittish and so netting them is not going to be easy.

You could always try a blenny sp. but I wouldn't reccomend it as they have never worked for me in the past. Another issue, once you remove the foxface, this stuff will probably grow back so it might be an ongoing problem...

Its a tough call for a nano, I really don't know of any "best-case" scenario...

I wish I could help more, hopefully others will give their input...

Take er easy
Scott T.

drdrew

i was just thinking about that....what happens when i remove him? maybe i can kalk the tiny areas as they appear? maybe a lettuce nudi? hermit crabs?

it's a nightmare!

and i don't have a plan to remove him...the tank is stuffed with rocks and coral!

aaaagggggghhhh!!!!

i did notice a huge rise in this algae when i switched from 20000k to 10000k....maybe it's time to go back to 20k.

caja

drew why did you switch to the 10K?

if the LFS will let you borrow the tang, you may as well just do that. ask them about ordering in a foxface for you in case the tang doesn't work out.

drdrew

well...i don't want to try to have to catch out more than one fish....unless yellow tangs are really easy to catch...then maybe i'd try that first......

i switched to 10k because my 20k was getting old, and i wanted to see if i would get better growth with the 10k on the sps.
in fact, they do grow faster...but the whole tank is not as pretty to me as it was under 20k...so i thought i'd let it grow out a bit under the 10k, then buy another 20k.

ReefLady

Staff member
drdrw -- send a PM to Boomer if you get a chance. Not only is he excellent with ID's, he also knows a good deal about inverts, and could probably best answer that question.

I really wish I knew what would eat that algae, but I truly have no idea.

Boomer

The only thing I could find, done in studies, that eat Chrodria are the tropical parrot-fishes, predominantly Sparisoma aurofrenatum and S. viride, the temperate sparid Diplodus holbrooki and the sea urchin Lytechinus variegata, plus abalones

ReefLady

Staff member
Thanks, Boomer. ;-)

All kinds of abalones, I wonder? Even the ones commonly available in the aquarium trade?

Drdrew - that could be a decent option to try.

Boomer

Teri

The only one I could find for sure is Haliotis asinina, from Tawi-Tawi, southern Philippines.