Algae Bloom

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
It could be the sand blowing around, did you seed the substrate with live sand ? How much flow do you have in the tank ? A filter sock will definitely help or you can use a canister filter with some poly filters.

deaclauderdale

No I did not dseed the substrate, my buddy is supposed to give me a pound from his tank. Flow wise I am running the SCWD with a Mag 12 rated at 1200 gph, two power heads of which I do not know the flow and the return line rated at 750 gph traveling 4 feet up. Can't afford to buy a canister filter got a new baby. but I would guess 2500 gph of flow including the powerheads.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What I would do is reduce the photoperiod drastically to about a couple of hours a day, once your cycled do a very large water change and add the cleanup crew. Are you using RO water ? Which skimmer are you using ?

deaclauderdale

Ro water and a small Bak pac rated for a 75 gallon waiting to get a new skimmer. How large is large 10 to 20% or more?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
deaclauderdale said:
Ro water and a small Bak pac rated for a 75 gallon waiting to get a new skimmer. How large is large 10 to 20% or more?

Alot of people are afraid to do very large water changes but if you have LR curing in the display it'll be loaded with dissolved organic matter and I like to do very large water changes in the 50% range, just make sure to match the salt, temperature, and SG.

burning2nd

might wanna try shooting for 8-10 hours of light aday.

if you tank is still cylceing you should just sit tight, you gotta give it a few weeks to straiting it self out.

ive bin told not to do water changes dueing cycleing.....

you need thos test kits first off.

stirr it up so the skimmer can get some
keep your hands outta the tank so the skimmer can skim.