Air Water and Ice Typhoon RO/DI Unit

prow

o john i must thank you. i have a older unit. my unit had just a restrictor. it had a seperate fastflush setup. more tubing and valves to bypass the restrictor. now they have a combo restrictor flush valve. i seen it in your setup and had to have it:D i got it a last week and man it cleanup the extra tubbing, looks much better :thumber:

metweezer

Thanks Prow:yup: How do you determine how much of the water is being wasted? Is there a gauge that shows the amount of rejected water?
Steve

JWarren

Steve,

For every gallon of DI water I make I loose 1 1/2 gallons to waste.

I run the waste water off into a bucket and water the plants with it. They love it.

I get a 1 to 1 ratio if I am only making RO drinking water. I measured mine with a measuring graduate.

Hey nice avatar!

prow

Thanks Prow:yup: How do you determine how much of the water is being wasted? Is there a gauge that shows the amount of rejected water?
Steve
no prob glad to help
i use my extra water for cloths washing and the yard. only check the ratio once. i have since changed RO membranes but imagine its about the same. that would about the same as John is getting. when i did check i used a 2.5 gallon water bottle (just happens to be what i had on hand) for product water and 5 gallon bottle for watse. i geusstimated it at about a 1:1 to a 1:1.5 ratio. i think its better now though. i think i will check it and report back.

i will tell you one thing, not on the ratio but productioin rate (gal/day). i am filling my new 180gal with my unit right now and not even one day has passed and its about 3/4 full. thats alot more than 75gal/day my membrane is supposed to produce. product water TDS is 0 source water is 278. from the looks in a 24 hours period (another 6-8 hours for me)the 180gal will be full. FYI; there are no rocks or anything in the tank yet.
Cool! You get an Atta - Boy for that one! Good eye man!
:D- just goes to show you, you never what you will end up getting out of a thread. good stuff i tell ya;)

metweezer

What are you guys putting your RO/DI water in? Do you have auto shutoffs? John, I went to the Vero fish store today and by his own admission he didn't have much fish. He said by Wednesday or Thursday he will have a lot more fish. I like buying fish online anyway as they come with a 14 day guarantee. BTW John, I sent you a PM. Thanks for the info Prow & John:bluenod:
Steve

P.S. That's not an Avitar, it's how I look in the morning staring at my tank.

Last edited:

JWarren

Steve,

I put my unit out on the back porch. I don't use an auto shutoff, I set a timer. Takes 14 min to make one gallon with my unit and water pressure. I have six gallon plastic jugs that I picked up at wall mart about 10 years ago, can't find them now. You can use a 5 gallon plastic gas jug as long as it is brand new and never seen gas. Walmart had a deal on them not too long ago at St lucie west for 3.00 a piece. I got two. :)

If you plan on putting your unit inside your house I would recommend getting a shut off, so you don't have a run over. You can rig a auto shut off to a 5 gallon bucket.

I told you about the guy in Vero, he dosent hav a lot of stock right now, but he can get you just about anything you want. I try to keep it local if I can.

tbittner

I have the big typhoon and I drilled a hole in the side of a 44g brute trash can. I installed the float switch that came with the unit, into this hole and attached everything up. When the can gets full, the unit stops processing water. It's been up and running for 9 months now and has never failed. This is an awesome RO/DI unit.

Air, Water, and Ice was there for me during the installation too. And my questions were just for info, such as, "Can I run the waste line UP in order to get to the house drain line?". Answer "Yes, but for every foot of rise in the drain line, will take 1.5 psi away from production of DI water." (this is based on my memory so it's probably not exact ;) )

So not only did they answer the question, they told me what the ramifications will be. I highly recommend them for an RO/DI unit.

Lee

John, is the waste drain line on this thing pressurized? (or does the drain hose need to slope downward?) I assume it is pressurized the same as the RO/DI water line, but wanted to be sure. The drain I'm using is an open PVC pipe that my washer drains into, but its up a few feet.

I just ordered this same unit today. Looking forward to it.

JWarren

I don't think running it up hill is a problem. However, the instructions say to not block the flow of the waste line. Letting it free flow into the washer drain should be no problem.

If you flush the membrane, there will be a burst of pressure, the strength of which is determined by your source water pressure. The line may come shooting out of the drain if it is not tied down in some way. Use a wire tie to keep it in place, maybe to the side of the washer hose.

I'm real happy with my unit. Still at the same output levels on RO and DI water even though I have moved to another city south of were I was and am at a slightly higher TDS reading on my source water.

Origami2547

John, I've had my Typhoon III set up since last September and it's doing great. You've made a solid choice. It must be nice to have them just down the road. My wife's got some relatives down in Jensen Beach so maybe I'll have to stop by their place sometime when I'm down there and needing some replacment cartridges!

JWarren

Hey Tom,

It is nice having them right up the road! :)

I get to stop in and see things up close which is really nice! They need to let me come in and do some product photos for them. The ones thay have on their site don't do the product justice. I'd even do it for trade of some of the other goodies they have in their warehouse. :)

Let me know when you come down and I'll go up there with you, if you want.

JWarren

Thought I would pop in here and give an update.

I still have this RO/DI unit and it is doing great after just over 2 years of operation. Bought this on Feb. 20, 2008. About six months ago I upgraded the membrane to a 100GPD unit and have seen no change in performance. Still takes 14 minutes to do a gallon of RO/DI water at the same level of purity (0 TDS). As far as if the 100 gallon membrane will last longer than the 75GPD, only time will tell. The water where I am now is consistently fouled to the level of 350 on the TDS meter. So, I changed out the membrane a little earlier than recommended.

I received an e-mail from one of the members here, asking how to best hook the unit up. I will shoot some photos of how mine is hooked up in the next couple of days and post them up.

The biggest consideration to hooking up an RO/DI unit, is where you are going to put it. You may need certain adapters depending on where you plan to have it located. Mine is kept outside with a dark cover to keep it totally blacked out from any light. My unit is hooked up to a hose bib that has a "Y" splitter so I can still have a water hose there to rinse out my mixing tank. I have a 65 gallon green trash can that I bought from Home Depot for the sole purpose of mixing up my saltwater and it is used for nothing else. I have a 900 GPH pump that I drop into the tank to do the mixing and to pump the water into the aquariums.

I'll post more info when I get the photos done.