Air Water and Ice Typhoon RO/DI Unit

JWarren

The RO/DI unit that I had built quite a while back was getting ready to fail. The canisters where starting to get hairline cracks and the rail was beginning to show signs of rust. So, I thought I would post some info on my new RO/DI on that my Girlfriend got me for my birthday yesterday.

She knew I had been looking around for a new one and saw a printout still lying on the printer, of the one that I was considering. She took the printout and slipped it into a birthday card with a note saying, “You just won a free RO/DI unit!” She’s so funny!

I called Air Water and Ice and found that they had one in stock. When I asked how much shipping would be to Vero Beach the guy started laughing and said they were located in Fort Pierce, which is one city south from me and that I could just pick it up. I thought that phone number looked familiar! D’oh!

So, I hopped in the truck and ran on down to Fort Pierce and met up with my contact person, Don. I told him that I had been looking at their Typhoon Reef keeping 100gpd model, but I wanted a water pressure meter and a DI bypass for drinking water installed on the unit. They hooked me right up and installed the water pressure meter into a rail that is setup to hold the meter. With the money saved on shipping I was able to also get a new TDS meter as well! :)

This is a top-notch unit and was very easy to setup. The instructions were very clear and the break-in was a breeze. Don was very helpful and knowledgeable about the products and knew exactly what I wanted. I just thought I would pass this info on, in case anyone was looking at their products.

My city water pressure is 64 lbs.
The unit is rated 75 lbs. Max.

Water going in 300ppm TDS.
Ro water coming out 53ppm TDS
RO/DI water coming out 0ppm TDS

Unit dimensions 6” W x 21” L x 15 ½” H

The unit came with:
24’ hose
Drain connector
Canister wrench
ASOV (automatic shut off valve)
2 ball valves for the water output lines
Hose bib connector (my choice since it is mounted on the back porch)

DSC_7747.jpg

DSC_7752.jpg

DSC_7749.jpg

DSC_7758.jpg

DSC_7761.jpg

DSC_7764.jpg

DSC_7755.jpg

JWarren

It was 4 to 1 yesterday.

Today it has dropped to 3 to 1.

Still breaking in and should get better.

prow

nice unit. i have the typhoon 3. i like the pressure gage placement on yours better, i think i may have to mod mine now:D.

JWarren

OK just completed a test today to find out how much water it is putting out.

1 gallon of RO/DI in 14 min.

A little over 2 1/2 gallons waste water. This appears to be getting better. :)

tbittner

I have one of these but in the 150 gpd version. It's awesome and their customer service is truly outstanding. I also highly recommend them to anyone looking for an RO/DI unit.

JWarren

Yeah, I would have to say, the customer service was outstanding! Don seemed truly interested in making sure I got exactly what I wanted. Good customer service is really hard to find these days, so it was real nice dealing with someone that seemed like he liked what he was doing.

prow

i agree with their service, i still use them when i buy all my replacement filters and DI resin refills.

JWarren

OK, I got this unit on the 20th, wed.

So far I have run 25 gallons through it and the RO/DI water is still at 0ppm output.

Today, Sat. 23, I filled 2 - 1 gallon jugs, 1 for kalk, 1 for just water.

Both ran at 14 min. and the waste to processed water is 1 1/2 to 1.

For anyone that dosen't know what that means; the unit will expell 1 1/2 gallons of waste to 1 gallon of processed water (2 1/2 gal. total). The waste is due to the unit self-flushing waste from the filter membrain.

I like the low waste amount, I figured I would be stuck with higher.

prow

that is a good ratio. i have no idea what mine is, my source water is pretty bad so i bet mine is much higher, what is the TDS on your source water?

prow

wow, that got a lot better. i am going to have to check my rejection ratio, my source is 260's but i do have some serious rust in the line, going to have check it out. great units arent they:) i still have the original ro membrane, now two years old and is well.

JWarren

My old one that I built about 8 years ago was a lot slower with a 75 gal. membrain, but it did the job!

The new one is much faster and I love the John Guest connectors!

Two years is good for a membrain. Hopefully mine will last that long. Time will tell! :)

JWarren

Just an update for the thread.

Source water 300 PPM.

Gallons of water produced to date: 154

RO water @ 22C/71.6F 32 PPM.

RO/DI water @ 27C/80.6F 0 PPM.

Ratio waste to good:
1.5 to 1

It's been almost a month since the purchase of this unit. Purchased on Feb. 20, 2008. Still working great.

metweezer

John,
I also plan on purchasing the typhoon III from these guys and I also found out that they are in Fort Pierce (one town above me). I might just get the typhoon. My water pressure is about 65 lbs. I have a water pressure gauge and also have a TDS meter so maybe I don't need the typhoon III. My tanks are smaller than yours. DT 29 gal and the QT 10 gal. I asked Don whether I should use the 75 or 100 GPD unit and he said for purity get the 75 and for quantity to get the 100. Since my tanks are so small I will probably go with the 75 GPD unit.
Steve

P.S. Awesome picks of your tank critters.
:whstlr: :whstlr: :whstlr:

JWarren

Steve,

So far I am very happy with the one I got. I drove down from Vero And picked it up from them. Nice bunch of people!

prow

metweezer, i have the typoon 3 with a 75gal/day RO membrane on my 150gal setup and will be using it on my new setup-about 250gal. unless you need to use and/or top off 50gal a day or something like that i would get a 75gal/day setup. trust me it will save you big time on DI resigns compared vs a 100gal/day RO membrane.

i would also suggest you get a unit with a pressure gauge. the gauge measures the pressure after the RO membrane, the source pressure could be 65lbs but you want to keep on eye on the pressure going through the RO membrane. once the membrane is used up and its time for a new one the pressure coming out of the membrane will decrease even though the source water (water going into the RO membrane) does not. did that make since?