Air bubbles

blondie323

I have a aquaclear filter that hangs on the back of the tank, the lip of the filter does not touch the water so it creates alot of bubbles from the water going back into the tank. Is this a bad thing? and should I try to put something in the way to stop the bubbles? I can't raise my water anymore or it will spill out onto the floor...not good

BoomerD

Don't sweat it. Not a big problem for your tank. Look at all the bubbles in a reef surge zone! I'd be much more concerned about all the nitrates that can be generated in that Aqua-Clear filter as it becomes a biological filter...Your tank appears to be more of a fish-only tank, than a reef, so it's not as big of an issue, but high nitrates have been linked as a possible cause/contributor of HLLE in many species.

You DO realize that your 55 is, or will soon be heavily overloaded with the fish load you have in your signature? That's more fish than should be in a 135...especially since many of them are terribly messy eaters.

blondie323

For the air bubbles I have crazy glued a piece of filter foam across the mouth so that should take care of the bubbles.

How come you say I have too many fish???:dunno: I only have 5 and one in QT and they are all small right now (no more that 2 inches for the biggest)
They will be moving to a 125g when they start to get bigger, but for the meantime my fresh waters need a place to live and I don't have the heart to get rid of them.

Is that really too many???

BoomerD

It's not the number of fish, but the potential size of each that is of a concern. The recommended stocking limits are 1 inch of fish,measured at their theoretical adult size, per 5 gallons of tank, and a 55 gives you 11 inches to work with. Glad to hear you're planning a larger tank. You will need it soon. Since they are all small now, (and I hadn't seen the thread about losing the snowflake) then you'll probably be ok for a while, but you really don't have any more room for new fish.

blondie323

Sad but true.....I know no more fish can be added as hard as that is to accept, I will not be adding any more l/r either until I can figure out what to do with my other fish (freshwater) Once I decide to start up the 125 I will go coo coo on l/r as I don't have very much right now only about 20-30 lbs.

I also plan to get rid of the picasso when he starts to get too big so I can add some more colorfull and less nasty fish. He is really nice small but I saw a large one at the lfs and didn't really like it. That will free up some room.