aiptasiaX did it work for u?

BigJay

I bought some last week since I had a few come in on a large zoanthid colony and I noticed they were already starting to spread. Seemed to do exactly as advertised and didn't see the nems for about 1 week, then last night I noticed most if not all were back out.
I definetly covered the nem with it and they did not retract during/after application so I don't think its a case of using it wrong.

BLAKEJOHN

Well I was going to get some this weekend. I had 2 aptasias for a few months and they never seemed to be spreading so I got some Joes Juice and juiced em. Well now I have a whole bunch just a couple weeks after doing so. So I will tag along here.

Why don't you get a couple of peppermints, then treat the big ones with aiptasiaX or Joes, then the little ones which grow back will be taken out by the peppermints!

dsmooth

Peppermints are hit or miss. Sometimes they will eat them and sometimes they wont touch em

yea you are right I started off with 2 peppermints after a month nothing happened so I bought some aiptasia X, it worked well but after a month 2 little ones came back, so i hit em again

Basile

I read and article , about large aiptasia, they are not touched by the shrimps just played with. So the technique the guy used; is to pull then off. I know , they'll return of course but they'll be small enough for the shrimp to get at them. His article when on saying its a constant battle once you get them. You see ; the shrimp when it eats them , it cuts them in small pieces, so some will return. the article when on saying its the shrimp way of surviving it eats only the small one so it make sure it has a constant supply of it , but small ones. One misconception of the aiptasia, is that it has eggs. Wrong, it has filament its leave while moving from place to place. yes it moves, and as it does, it leaves these filaments with reproducing cells, creating new ones as it moves or if its broken. The shrimp you see knows this and make sure it has futur food. So if you buy shrimps to get rid of it. They will for a while . But you must keep the shrimp, to controle the incomming generation of aiptasia. So if your shrimp dies , replace her quick. If your going to use hot water or vinegar or salt water you must aim at the foot, to cause osmosis imbalance and get all the cell in the body. The chemical works if the mouth is targeted, but must be repeated if she reapears within afew days, it must consume enough of it to die. The glue well never used that technique and it didn't specified. So your shrimp will get the small ones and keep them in check. While this process is slow , get them with the chemical . The combination of both will get the problem under controle. Remember there is no egg, her hole body can regenerate 100 %.

Basile

Why can't LTAs and BTAs be that tough...seems like the less desirable, the tougher the animal

You realise most of us don't read chineese ; LTAs and BTAs ??????? sorry man if we don't understand you...not to be mean or anything, but if you want to be understood.

wonderloss

I think the toughness is partly what makes them undesirable. They are tough, and they reproduce rapidly, which is where they can be a nuisance.

I think to remove aiptasia, diligence is the key. Even if you kill all that you see, there are some that are not seen. Like most nuisances, nutrient control will go a long way toward making them less of a nuisance.

LTA=Long Tentacle Anemone
BTA=Bubble Tip Anemone
Both are common acronyms.

lcstorc

Just like weeds will grow more quickly than your garden.
I have actually had very good success with Aiptasia-X. If I could only reach everywhere in the tank I think I could finally be rid of these pests.

i bought one bottle and it did not work got a new bottle last week and is working been at war them them for over 2 mounths good luck and thanks

BigJay

thanks for all the input. Oddly I think it wiped out all the very tiny ones. Just the ones that were about 1/2 in diameter popped back out.
As far as peppermints.. Peppermints are not reef safe.. another peppermint will ever go into one of my tanks. About 15 years ago I had group of peppermints take out some softies and an open brain on me and the rest pestered my carpet to death. No thank you.

johnvic

I had an aiptasia when I first setup my tank and used aiptasia-x on it. About a week later another came back which I x'd and then 2 more. I have not seen any in 2 weeks. Of course there could be some hiding behind rocks but as far as visual ones go I have been good using aiptasia-x.

Jess

IME, I've found that it really is all about getting the X down the actual shaft of the Aiptaisa. If you miss, or just smother them, they'll come right back in as little as an hour! I just treated mine two days ago, and just in my 24g it takes me FOREVER and even being sooo careful, I still only did half of them "correctly". The other half are back in action.:banghead:

Actually yesterday I did get a peppermint shrimp for that tank, so we'll see. But I'm not really banking on it to work, just thought it couldn't hurt to try.

Joes and aiptasia-x have worked but i never seem to have them on hand when needed, also the aiptasia has about a 25% chance of returning.

I use a very strong mix of Kalk and R/O water, almost to the point of making a paste and inject it directly in to an aiptasia with a hypodermic needle. The aiptasia will shrivel up and virtual disappear, but 2-3days later i use the same paste on the exact spot where the aiptasia was and coat the spot to make sure its good and dead. For the small aiptasias i just cover them in the paste(about the size of a BB). It has worked about 95% of the time in the last 5 years.
*The amount of paste used per aiptasia is very small. Depending on the size of your tank too much at one time can cause problems so be careful*

I have never had success with shrimp or copper banded aptasia control.