Aiptasia problems

Jukas

I have approximately 40lbs of live rock in a rubbermaid brute container that appears to be heavily infected with aiptasia. I've tried a product called Aiptasia control, which seemed to kill the individuals, but for every one killed 3 more pop'd up.

I've also tried injected them directly with boiling water, which seems to kill them, but I can't tell if killing them is also re-producing them. I could add a couple peppermint shrimp but I'm concerned there are too many aiptasia for them to manage.

If I pull all the rock, and leave it out of water for a week will that be sufficient to permanently kill off that aiptasia, with the understanding I'd have to re-cure the rock?

lcstorc

I recenty had the same problem but they were mostly in my fuge and overflow. I spot treated the individual ones in the display and took the rock out of the fuge and set it outside in the sun. It killed the aiptasia but also killed everything else in/on the rock. Basically now I have base rock to work with again. It was not a big deal for me since it was just extra rock from the fuge.
Everything else I have tried has targeted individual animals. I have not had very much success with the peppermints but they say they only eat the aiptasia when they are hungry and I overfeed my tank so they are not ever hungry.,

Jukas

I recenty had the same problem but they were mostly in my fuge and overflow. I spot treated the individual ones in the display and took the rock out of the fuge and set it outside in the sun. It killed the aiptasia but also killed everything else in/on the rock. Basically now I have base rock to work with again. It was not a big deal for me since it was just extra rock from the fuge.

Theres so much of it that's kind of what I think I may end up having to do. How long did you leave it outside for?

Fortunately my tank isn't up and running yet, but this aiptasia infected rock is going to go into the display, so if I have to bring it back to base rock and then re-cycle it I'd rather do that now.

I have 100lbs of aiptasia free live rock in a seperate brute container that I really don't want to cross contaminate.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
well at least your thinking on the right track! if you cover the rock and keep it warm and circulated the boogie monsters will die, your coraline will also die but it will come back, that aiptasia need light and food but no need to kill the rock

lcstorc

My rock is still outside. Really just out of lazyness. I am sure I could have brought it in after a day or so and will probably bring it back in tomorrow when I do my regular tank stuff.

Emg

I have about 40lbs+ of LR in my 50....it was absolutely covered with aptasia. Three peppermint shrimp took care of it for me. I put the shrimp in the tank in January and they're still doing a fine job of keeping it gone.

Jukas

well at least your thinking on the right track! if you cover the rock and keep it warm and circulated the boogie monsters will die, your coraline will also die but it will come back, that aiptasia need light and food but no need to kill the rock

Interesting. I've kept the brute covered, with a powerhead and a heater and have "fed" it absolutely nothing and if anything it seems there are more aiptasia then when I first put it in there.

SJS

I will swear that there are mutant strains of aiptasia that almost nothing will kill!! I have removed rock from my DT - put it into the QT and zapped it with kalk paste - but that is spot treating individual buggers. I swear the stuff will be left after everything else dies - aiptasia, cockroaches and Cher!!

Surfnut

I've had 100% success with peppermint shrimp. The trick is to purchase several at a time. There is always the possibility that one or two may not take to the aptasia; However, when you purchase 6 or more at a time as I generally recommend. This way your guaranteed at least a few that will eat the aptasia. If your tank has a sizable overflow put a couple of shrimp between the walls of the overflow if there is room for them. In my old 120g I had 2 living in each of my two overlfows.

I cooked my rock for 1 month and 1.5 weeks . I recently put my live rock in my DT and today I did notice 1 little tiny aiptasia still alive. I have not seen any other but before I cooked my rock it was pretty bad the little buger were everywhere. I am going to purchase some of these slugs that ONLY eat aiptasia. They are supposed to eat them right down to the root, from what I hear the peppermint shrimp sometimes cant get down to the root and the aiptasia grow back. Here is a link im about to make an order through these guys. These guys sell a aiptasia clean up crew for 89.99 4 peppermint shrimp and 4 berghia. These guys reproduce quickly as well so you might end up with alot more than what you purchase.

http://reefscavengers.com/berghianude.html <~~these are juveniles

dianezoo

I have always had the best experience with pepermint shrimps. The last aptaisa I had was the size of my thumb. I got a good sized Pepermint shrimp and at first I thought no way but today every aptaisa I had is gone.
I wish they ate hair algea. good luck. I'd go with the Pshrimp they work 100% of the time for me over the past three years.

JoJo

good luck to everyone with aiptasia and i think i'll added some pep. shrimps in the beginning to keep it down.

tbittner

I cooked my rock for 1 month and 1.5 weeks . I recently put my live rock in my DT and today I did notice 1 little tiny aiptasia still alive. I have not seen any other but before I cooked my rock it was pretty bad the little buger were everywhere. I am going to purchase some of these slugs that ONLY eat aiptasia. They are supposed to eat them right down to the root, from what I hear the peppermint shrimp sometimes cant get down to the root and the aiptasia grow back. Here is a link im about to make an order through these guys. These guys sell a aiptasia clean up crew for 89.99 4 peppermint shrimp and 4 berghia. These guys reproduce quickly as well so you might end up with alot more than what you purchase.

http://reefscavengers.com/berghianude.html <~~these are juveniles

I agree with the berghia. The ONLY thing they eat is aiptasias. Problem is, once they eat all the aiptasia, they starve because, like I said, they ONLY eat aiptasia.
Berghia Nudibranch AKA Berghia Verrucicornis Eat Aiptasia Anemones - Salty Underground