Aiptasia plagues...

Proven Anti-aiptasia solutions...

• Bristle-tail/File-fish (Acreichthys Tormentosus)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

proenca

Had major outbreaks of these little buggers and tried a few methods :

Lysmata Wundermanni : never touched it. was told that ( by other fellow reefers ) that since I do feed a lot my fishes, they were more insterested in the leftovers rather than the Apistasia

Chelmon Rostratus : had a few but not a solution by any means. He only picks the small ones. The big ones he looks at me and seems to say "you have it"

Hot water & Kalkwasser seringe : that's how I got rid of them. very precise method and worked for me wonders.

Products : never tried one... dont trust on miracle products that come in a bottle. Also I always kept anemones ( Entacqmea Quadricolors ) so I was afraid that if I pour down a product in the whole tank to kill apistasia that would affect my anemones, hence never used them.

On a side note : I never saw / heard a Lysmata Seticauda that could eat apistasia.. although they are almost identical to the tropical "cousin" ( Lysmata Wurdermani ) they are not keen on apistasia, or so I've been told. They are quite often here in Portugal, since we have them on the beach ( Seticauda's... ) and most reefers collect them when the tide is low from pools... Portugal water is cold ( by reef standards ), average of 18-22c , but low tide pools can get up to 35c , so anything that can live there ( Seticauda's are trapped there often ) can be safely put in a reef tank ( doesnt mean is reef safe, means its reef temperature safe :) ) .

And I never heard anyone with Seticaudas saying that they ate apistasia.

acemow

I think my peppermints ate the small aiptasia, but I use Aiptasia X for the bigger pieces. I get it in my overflow box and sump occasionally.

fishman1908

I used Aiptasia X a few times and although at first I thought it was the dogs nuts I started to find I ended up with more Aips after I had used it than what I had started out with, not good.

I have now used Aip-Ex by Grotech for a couple of weeks and can't speak highly enough of it.

Kills the aips in a very similar way but we no longer experience the aftermath spread.

Robin

Jess

Hands down, imo, THE best solution is Berghia nudibranchs. I tried almost everything before resorting to spending a pretty penny on 4 of them. I was skeptical because they were so tiny and fragile. I had a forest in my 24g Nano, like over 100 all different sizes. In 3 weeks they were completely gone. I still see them out looking for food now and again, and some Aiptasia has popped back up when I started feeding a little more again, but they still take care of them.. it is fantastic! I've been battling flatworms now because I don't want to kill the nudi's with the FW Exit. Talk about a catch 22! :hammerhea

jgsensor

Chemicals never worked for me just made the pests spread. I have a 375g so there is plenty of room to spread and I had hundreds. Also do to the size of my tank it is hard to reach a large portion to inject chemicals or hot water in them. Tried the bergia didn't do much for me, probably became fish food for my wrasse or hawk fish. Same for the peppermints. I resorted to using a combo of butterflys. I currently have a Raccoon, Copperband, and a Pearlscale Butterfly. They do an awesome job. The Raccoon is an aptasia eating machine. If they can reach it it is gone in a day.

The down side to them is not being able to keep anemones in the tank. Other than that they haven't bothered a thing.

BLAKEJOHN

bergi nudis is the best method to control aptasia. they will eat the aptasia till it is gone and breed while doing so which makes your little army stronger. the down fall is that aptasia is all they eat and when it is gone so are they. they will stave and die.

nightfire76

well i just found aptasia in my tank,now i have nothing in there it can harm,id like to get it before they multiply and or i get things it might harm,seems like aptasia x is hit or miss and so are peepermints,but i think ill lean towards a peepermint shrimp,not sure

nightfire76

aptasia x seems like a hit or miss and so does a pepermint shrimp,i have this now and i think ill get a pepermint shrimp....no sure though....love to have a good no money costing way of getting this done lol

DLR74

I have been using lemon juice and a syringe seems to do the trick for me now thats ofcourse with only a few not 100's the most i have had is around 30-40.

bergi nudis is the best method to control aptasia. they will eat the aptasia till it is gone and breed while doing so which makes your little army stronger. the down fall is that aptasia is all they eat and when it is gone so are they. they will stave and die.

That's when you offer the little bugger to someone else with an aptasia problem. There's a nudibranch that has already visited the house of about three people that I know of. That way they don't starve. When it eats all your aptasia, offer it for free to anyone with an aptasia problem with the understanding that when their problem is cleared up they have to give it to someone new for free also :D

Blurp

Thanks to all for your contributions, interesting point about the Berghia...it might be difficult to find though. And the procedure is just like with dolabellas and algae, once they finish them all, you must give it away before it starves.

I will look up the exact scientific name, because I looked it up in Mr Google and there seems to be a series of berghiae with different colours, and that may mean they eat different things???
I'm more for natural control means, because as some pointed already, chems seemed to spread the plague rather than removing the aiptasia...

jnohs

I had a small problem a while back. And that was just before i stoped feeding. And that is what I belive got rid of them. I had aptasia and bristle worms by the ton. NowI dont think I have any aptasia and just a couple of bristle worms. I know that my anwser to everything allways sems to be "stop feeding" but it really works.

nightfire76

well cloud as id be up for this and a good few people on the site,unfortunetly in this world we dont have enough folks like this.many are out for that quick buck,much like LFS,gas companeys and so on and so on....maybe people like up can march up and lead a revolution :lol: sorry for my john lenon trip :lol:
That's when you offer the little bugger to someone else with an aptasia problem. There's a nudibranch that has already visited the house of about three people that I know of. That way they don't starve. When it eats all your aptasia, offer it for free to anyone with an aptasia problem with the understanding that when their problem is cleared up they have to give it to someone new for free also :D