Aiptasia in fuge

Eck36

I think I saw somewhere in RS that aiptasia in the refugium is OK. I haven't seen any in my DT yet, but I was checking on the plants in my biocube 29, and I saw it. Big and happy (the aiptasia, not me), is it OK back there?

david42

I think you are better off if they are in fuge and not in display.
Not sure but I think they can reproduce by sending out spores. These might be able to spread. Maybe someone else will offer opinion. If it were me, I'd kill em all.

Not to be a Debbie Downer... but yeah. Aip-nems are the gift that keeps on giving in the marine aquarium and yes they will get around the water column. Just use control methods and don't worry too much about them. You'll go nuts trying to "eliminate" them.

DebbieDowner.jpg

Seriously, I just tore down a tank due to a slipped return bulkhead and subsequent leak (that sucked). I killed all power to the tank and it sat for over 2 months (no non-pest live stock of course) while I did other project work, the aiptasia stayed alive and moved up in the tank, I assume to get better oxygenated water... Think about that.... they're like the Xenomorph from Aliens.... lol. Probably have acid for blood too. :wave:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I would suggest to get rid of them before you have more Aiptasia in your fuge than anything else.
I think if the grow really large they can sting small fish & you never know when you might need to use your refugium for other purposes. That's just my opinion. I don't want any in my refugium.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I had aiptasia in my DT and fuge, a peppermint shrimp in each solved that problem quickly.

Eck36

I'm using the second chamber in the back of the bio cube as a fuge, would a peppermint shrimp survive back there? It isn't very big, although my sally lightfoot managed to squeeze through the slots, ride the water flow over the wall and get past the carbon filter to get back there-twice, so it must be a nice place to hang out.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You could put one back there until he eliminated the issue, then net him out and put him in the DT.

Eck36

I will give it a shot, I am trying to figure this stuff out on this 29 cube. With the holidays upon us, rumor has it (thanks kids) I may be getting a large gift. Hopefully about 150 gallons big. IF that happens, I will be leaning on you guys for even more support.

Dad

Hi, aiptasia are not your friends lol. Did you know that even if you mash them every little pice can turn into a new one.And yes they can send spores outto the main tank. The best stuff that I have found that works is aiptasia gone or sometimes called no aiptasia, it comes with a needle 2 of them 1 straight one bent for hard to reach places. You just getit close to one and squirt a little out they thnk its food andsuck it in. but its like a glue that stops them from feeding or sending out spores. Will not hurt any other coral or inverts. It does work, But when you can always go the natural route with a peppermint shrimp. But I would not keep them at all. Dont know who claims they are ok there not!
Wow lets hope that is 150 gallon gift.I alwayssay the bigger the better lol.
Brian AKA Dad

Steve L

Peppermint shrimp tend to be hit or miss, but if you get the right ones they will get rid of them all quickly. I had a few small aip's showing up in my tank and added 2 peppermints. Nothing happened at all and the population of aip's kept growing. I decided to increase the population of peppermint shrimp and bought 5 more from my LFS. I'm not sure what was different about these guys but they eliminated all of the aip's within 2 days, and when they were done they started in on my frogspawn which I had to quickly remove and put in another tank. I don't have any decorative anem's but I'm sure the shrimp would have eaten them too.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
+1^^...I was very lucky to have added only 1 peppermint shrimp and he must have been the Aiptasia eating version. He ate the only ones I've ever had (so far, knock on wood :fingerx:) and then my CBS killed him :(
I took the CBS back to the LFS as soon as I could get him caught out.
I would not hesitate to get another peppermint shrimp IF I had Aiptasia troubles.

ziggy

+1^^...i was very lucky to have added only 1 peppermint shrimp and he must have been the aiptasia eating version. He ate the only ones i've ever had (so far, knock on wood :fingerx:) and then my cbs killed him :(
i took the cbs back to the lfs as soon as i could get him caught out.
I would not hesitate to get another peppermint shrimp if i had aiptasia troubles.

cbs?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I got my CBS as part of my CUC....would not repeat.
You can do whatever one you like or not any as CUC.
Or wait & add one later when the tank is more stable.

Eck36

I have 2 peppermint shrimp in the DT, maybe thats why I haven't seen any in there. I tried for a while to catch one of them tonight to add to the fuge, I lost. I will try again tomorrow.