AIPTASIA can it be good

rgfast

Now I bet you think I'm crasy, I let Aiptasia glow freely in my 65gal ref I feel like it's a good thing after feeding coral in tank it like a good puppy eating all the table scaps.I have seen it get to dt. but it never last more than a few days it's also on the menu and eaten quickly does anybody else use it as part of natural filtering?

1Reefer

I don't, I kill any I see.... well my peppermints will. Its fun watching them stab them over an over lol well that's what it looks like anyway.

This is a new idea to me, I've never thought about this before.....

lcstorc

I ignored mine for far too long and now have a major battle, but I did once see a set-up where the fuge was nothing but aiptasia. The problem is keeping them out of the display where they will sting your corals.

Uslanja

Hi rgfast! We have one Aptasia that has really cool tiger stripe markings and so we have allowed it to continue living in our fuge. It came in as a hitch hiker and we actually ensure that it gets a few morsels of frozen food at feeding time. You should see how fast those things can ingest food! So, if an Aptasia was allowed to live in a fuge, could it spread to the display tank? We're pretty sure we don't want them in our disply.

lcstorc

I know for a fact they can move from the display to the overflow to the fuge. I have not personally witnessed the opposite but with the way they reproduce I would highly suspect they could.

GlassMunky

I've heard of People "farming" them in their fuge. They kept a UV filter going from the fuge to the main tank to keep them from getting in

rgfast

for those wonderring I do run UV 25watt flow threw it is 160gph so only small amount of water returning to tank is passing threw it at any given time. I read about this in a book by Anthony Calfo an had the same reponse as you probly did, then one day had hichhicker apear well I've been known to but some pretty dum stuff and put it in fug where it lives happy an doesn't bother anybody. I do have Joes Juice but to this point have never had to use it. Three of these little guys have been in dt. that I have seen but don't last, one of the guys in tank has liking for them

flyline

aptasia are evil lol they wil spread everywere if given the chance and once they are in they are hard as hell to get out....thats just my 2 cents