Aiptasia, are there different types?

GatorKev17

Are there different types of aiptasia? I had a few small ones like this (so you think you have aiptasia link): http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...05-you-think-you-have-aiptasia-look-here.html in my sand that I have removed. Then I noticed some on my rock which I did not think was aiptasia but after looking on this reef hitchiker link: ReefSlides - April '06 - Hitchhikers! - Part II I noticed that they look like the ones on the first picture. I thought that they might be feather dusters or something but appears that I of course was wrong. I will try to post pics of both this evening.

seafansar

Nope. They are all aiptasia. They look different depending on how much light they get and how big they are. In dark places they look thin and white and in well lit places they look brown and fat. And they will get longer tentacles in places with higher flow.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Absolutely; Aiptasisa is a genus of anemones with the species Aiptasia pallida and A. puchella being two examples of many possible species.

For purposes of the aquarium they are all pests.

johnmaloney

yeah I have one species Aiptasia diaphrama or some similarly spelled Latin word :). It doesn't spread at all, sort of looks cool, I am letting it be to see how it does out of curiosity.

GatorKev17

Ok, no pics needed since I have come to the conclusion that they are the dreaded Aiptasia... Guess I will have to combat them. Man, new tank and already have to battle! LOL... Thanks for the help.

Glaucus

Different species of aiptasia look quite different. And I bet some anemones people call 'aptasia' aren't part of that genus. You even see people call hydroids aptasia.