Aiptasia and my RBTA

So I have been having a small outbreak of Aiptasia. Been handling it with Aiptasia X and it works but can never seem to get them all. I was ok with it and just dealt with it as they came. But today I noticed my RBTA which is about a quarter in size moving around alot and standing on its side. Saw a small Aiptasia under him stinging him i guess!!! Poor little guy!! I killed the aiptasia and made him suffer it!! Now my RBTA is enclosing itself. Any advice on killing all those little buggers???? And think my nem will be ok?? He so pretty :)

reefer gladness

Can you post pics of your BTA? If it's literally the size of a quarter my guess is that it's a majano not a BTA.

I'm a big believer in natural predators for handling probs like aiptasia, I keep peppermint shrimps in my tank for aiptasia control.

I will post in a sec. Now I am worried because he has moved behind the rocks. He is in the back where no light is around. SHould I leave him be and he does his own thing or try and move him myself.

imagejpg7_zps41dda849.jpg

This is him 3 weeks ago. Only had him about a month. This is where he originally stayed all the time. Getting updates now.

sacktheqb65

I got some aiptasia in my tank, I think it hitchhiked in on some zooanthids and instead of aiptasia x, I got a peppermint shrimp from my LFS and literally the next day it was gone.... I recommend that for sure. Mine actually come out a bit and is kind of fun to watch, I have heard that some hide and the only way you know its still in the tank is when you see a shell from it molting.

sacktheqb65

Also, make sure its the right kind of peppermint shrimp. I saw on one of these forums that people are selling different types of peppermint shrimp but only one species actually eats aiptasia.

reefer gladness

Okay, that's a little larger than a quarter and is definitely an RBTA. Don't try to move it.

Honestly, looking at your previous posts and the pics of your tank this RBTA was added too early. You were still battling nuisance algae's and changing lights, etc. when the nem was added which means the tank really wasn't all that stable. I would perform a series of water changes and expect the nem to return to normal within a day or two.

The correct species of peppermint is lysmata wurdemanni

Well the lights have been upgaded to a combo of LED and flourecenet. I am debating on ditching the stock carbon filter na dgetting the shelf with three different filters and a protein skimmer in chamber 2. Also going get some peppermint shrimp today. 2 sound good?

reefer gladness

That sounds like a good plan. Assume your referring to the inTank media rack or similar where most folks run Purigen, Chemi-Pure and a mechanical sponge filter. Protein skimmer a definite yes.

One peppermint shrimp should be good for a tank that size.