AI SOL optic swap

For anyone curious how easy it is to change the optics in an AI SOL.

I'll be using this fixture over a 40B so I don't need the 45% optics for a tank that shallow. I'm changing the 45%s with 70%s to get a better spread rather than the penetration. The optics were ordered from directly from the parts store at aquaillumination.com and the only tool used is a 5/64 allen wrench. Here's the pics, pretty self explanatory...

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

There you have it. Easy Peasy :)

Last edited:
*Disclaimer* this may void the warranty, I'm not sure. I rarely concern myself over these things but if it's important to you please check into the warranty details before proceeding.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
After thinking about it, It's too bad we didn't know about this before you purchased the new replacements. We might have been able to trade from my fixtures. I have 4 SOL's and a 30" deep tank. Oh well...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great thread. Does the white "housing" hold the optics on? Is that why it's so easy to change em out?

After thinking about it, It's too bad we didn't know about this before you purchased the new replacements. We might have been able to trade from my fixtures. I have 4 SOL's and a 30" deep tank. Oh well...

I've had the fixture and optics here for many months already, about 1 month BEFORE the price drop :(, if I recall correctly. I'm not sure, but using all 45% optics might give an extreme spotlight effect and require more fixtures for consistant lighting throughout the tank. However, I have eight 45% I'd be willing to part with if you want to give it a try.

Great thread. Does the white "housing" hold the optics on? Is that why it's so easy to change em out?

Yes, held in place by the housing.

steved13

PREMIUM
Thanks, I have the Sols, with no need to change the optics, but I had wondered how it was done. I highly doubt it would void your warranty.

ghurlag

I have a 40 gallon breeder, and have been contemplating my options with the light spread. I have a fairly deep sand bed, so that, combined with the shallow height of a 40 breeder to begin with, gives me the middle half of the tank where I get immense spotlighting. I had search for replacement optics before, but never had any luck. Your thread has inspired me to have a look into this again. At the very least, I can swap out the optics on 4 of the 8 pucks. I can't find the parts store on AI's site, though.

What was the price tag on the new optics?

Last edited:
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary ghurlag! :hallo:

Changing the optics will help some, as far as darkness on the sides of the tank is concerned, but even then you will probably be happier with two fixures over a 36" spread. The fixture comes from the factory with four 45 and four 70 degree optics, so only four optics per fixture to change (the four in the middle are the 45 degree optics). The lenses cost $25 for the set of four and here is a direct link to the parts store. Good luck :)

ghurlag

Thanks for the link! Exactly what I was looking for. Incidentally I agree that 2 Sols over a 40breeder would be ideal, but my reef budget doesn't agree. My light loving SPS will get the center of the tank while my chalices and other LPS and softies will get the periphery. Sadly that's about as much as I can do right now... Here's hoping!

Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk