Ahh why not?

sneaks03

So in my recent move due to taking a new job I have not set my tank back up. So I decided that instead of setting it back up now was a good time to work on a larger and better tank. So I was curious as to where you guys shop for tanks and stands. And if I should use a canopy or skip that as a whole. Thanks in advance for your advice! Oh and I planned on using my old 55g tank as a qt...so not like it will go to waste.

Thanks!
Jonathan

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I just had my tank built by Miracles in Toronto and the stand canoy built by a local guy. I think fishtanksdirect is the distributor for RJ aquatics and they have good stands too. Topless is cool but only if you get cool looking lights.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I would go with 125 or larger and convert you 55 into a sump/refugium. Buy a 20 gallon tank for your qt

dmatt88

220. Best 6 foot tank out there. They're huge.

........the mayor has spoken

Built347

220. Best 6 foot tank out there. They're huge.

Yes it is an awesome tank.... 6' really is the key to a decent sized reef... I like my 125 but I'm ready for that 220..

...... Edward beer hands..

Doogle

Yes I like the size of 125 6'x18"x20h..for freshwater, not to tall to reach..... but a reef can use the 24" wide instead of 18" for aquascaping. My lfs has the 220 STACKED FULL and has only enough room for a few fish...all depends on what you do with it. Big fish need huge tanks, especially after 80% is rock and coral! LoL

dmatt88

My only issue with the 125 is I'm 6' tall n i always had to bend over to check out the goodies. So if ya go 125 just use an extra high stand.

Built347

My only issue with the 125 is I'm 6' tall n i always had to bend over to check out the goodies. So if ya go 125 just use an extra high stand.

Not to mention a 125 wouldn't look right in the castle...lol... I have to bend down but I just put a small bench in front if it..

..... A10 Tang buster..

sk8rdn

How about a 7' 350 gallon? Fits just about anything... Even 6' eels...

...."Fish" Happens!....

sneaks03

Cool thanks for the responses. As far as using the 55g for a sump I am hesitant as I left it with my brother-in-law while moving and found out he used the tank to dose copper...:smack:. I am worried about any copper seaping from the silicone seals. Do you guys think this will be an issue or should I even risk it. I was thinking about going with a 220 and if so what size sump would I need? Also should I go with an acrylic tank or stick with glass?

Built347

I recommend glass tanks.... way better...

My reef tank right now was dosed with copper countless times over the last 7 years while it was freshwater.... I've had no issues.. but I can't responsibly recommend going for it...

..... A10 Tang buster..

Built347

I recommend glass tanks.... way better...

My reef tank right now was dosed with copper countless times over the last 7 years while it was freshwater.... I've had no issues.. but I can't responsibly recommend going for it...

..... A10 Tang buster..

..... A10 Tang buster..

Built347

I can't tell u it's safe.... I don't know... I can say that there was freshwater in my tank for 6 months with 6 months worth of waterchanges since dosing before I switched salt... copper can definitely Leach out of the silicone.. I'm just guessing but the copper must have all leached out before I switched...

..... A10 Tang buster..

Last edited:

Doogle

If you try to clean it out real good, you will most likely be successful, plus you are adding much more volume of water so if you soak and rinse you should be fine. I think 20% is the minimum average for a sump, but bigger is better!