AGH! Ich again, I believe.

This isn't a question about how to fix it, I already know what the options are. This is the second time its happened! First time wiped out all my fish (I didn't know what to do) I waited 8 weeks with absolutely no fish in the tank and a few weeks ago put in some chromis. Now I think they have the little white spots on them! D;

What can be causing this? The water parameters are all good.

PH 8.3
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Salinity 1.023
Temp 78

I've been feeding them with garlic since I've gotten them, hopeing that would be a "preventive treatment" but I guess that didn't work. >_<

Anyone have any ideas as to why the Ich came back? No other fish to stress them out and they don't seem to be fighting eachother.

Rhodes19

You are probably importing the ich with the fish you put into your display tank. The best thing to do is to set up a quarantine tank and move your fish to it and treat them as suggested in this link

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/52236-curing-fish-marine-ich.html

Let the DT go ferral for 8 weeks while you treat your fish then move them back into the DT. When you want to add more fish to your DT put them into the DT and treat them as above and then after 8 weeks you can put them into the DT as well. If you do this with each addition you shouldn't have any more ich in your DT. HTH

acemow

I agree on the quarantine, I think it's the only way to go. Keep in mind the setup for a QT, simple, bare bottom, darken the sides, simple sponge filter or a HOB without carbon in it, watch levels when it's new, but it's easy to do WC to keep tank stable, cuz you should be using just a small tank for QT. Also, I quarantine six weeks, if there is something I need to treat with meds, I start the six week QT period over after treatment is complete and the fish are healthy. It takes patience but totally worth it for the long term success of the display tank.

I have an empty 10G, will that be sufficient?

I'm worried if I bring home something (say a medium sized tang or something) it won't have enough space, causing it to get stressed even more.

I have a feeling its just the place I'm buying them that's the problem, they are reputable but they dont QT their fish at all from what I understand.

I will get the QT set up ASAP!

acemow

For smaller fish, 10g for the short term is fine. I have that size, I even started with a 5g that's now a nano tank. If I want to get a bigger fish, I'll have to get a bigger QT. In the QT, you can medicate if needed so much easier. I think there's a sticky on here about a setup, I use plastic plants and PVC pipe pieces to make hiding places for the fish in QT and use a turkey baster to remove leftover food and waste from bottom, cuz it's easy to see with the bare bottom tank.