Aged salt water smell

fishnu

I keep my changing water in a spare glass tank in my basement.... the last batch I made about 2 weeks ago...with a pump in the tank to keep things moving.

Yesterday I went down to get a couple of buckets for a water change and thought I could detect a little smell.....sulphurous?....from the tank.

My ro/di water is good, my salt is reef crystals. What could be causing this smell?

Thanks

G!N+T0N!K

Have any skimate near by? Or maybe it's the gas exchange fumes from when it is mixed? Sewer pipe leaking? Just thinking.

Edd13

I really have no idea ...
but ....
is the tank sealed from out side air?
do you have an auto topoff on it to keep the water level?
is there algae in the tank?

these might help someone with an answer... you could get a smell if there is algae in the tank and the water level droped a little below the algae exposing it to the air

fishnu

I really have no idea ...
but ....
is the tank sealed from out side air?

Partially, not completely.

do you have an auto topoff on it to keep the water level?
Nope. I typically make it about 1.023 knowing I will get some evaporation.

is there algae in the tank?
No, none, but I have noticed a little white calcium residue on the bottom of the tank.

these might help someone with an answer... you could get a smell if there is algae in the tank and the water level droped a little below the algae exposing it to the air

lcstorc

I mix my water in a 60g container and it may sit there for several weeks with a pump for circulation. So far we have had no problems using the salt weeks later. No smell and tests come out good.

sambrinar

I mix my water in a 60g container and it may sit there for several weeks with a pump for circulation. So far we have had no problems using the salt weeks later. No smell and tests come out good.

Do you have a heater in there or do you just throw it in there 24 hr before you use it. I've tried to keep some premade salt, with heater and pump, but it was growing algae. man am I talented

lcstorc

It's in my garage in Florida. No heater needed. There is a fairly large pump in there that keeps the water moving all of the time.