After 1 Wk: High Ammonia.. No Nitrite/Nitrate

LookingForNemo

It just a bit frustrating not seeing the nitrite. I have some corals in there and teracotta/orange color rocks (probably from algae) that is probably dying from the high ammonia level as it is slowly covered in a white coating :cry1: But yeh not gonna add any chemical or even bacteria and just sit back and wait for the nitrite.

klok95330

Just ride it out! DO NOT TAKE IT OUT AND CLEAN IT or add anything to the water. It can prolong the cycling process. Just let it go through the process, and once your nitrates are at 0 or near 0 give it another week. In the mean time mix about 5-10 gallons of salt water and get the parameters correct. I leave mine sit for about 3-4 days for temperature and salt to completely mix, sometimes a week with a power head sitting inside. Then once the cycle is complete do a weekly water change of 5-10 gallons once a week for 3 weeks and that should take care of the water. Also using a power head to blow some of the stuff off the rock for the filter to collect can help as well. Just remember to clean your filter pads so your not just relocating dead stuff or your nitrates may spike. Do not add any water clearing chemicals or anything like that just let it work itself out. The key to the reef hobby is patience. And I struggle with this a lot. Good luck and keep us posted!

LookingForNemo

Just ride it out! DO NOT TAKE IT OUT AND CLEAN IT or add anything to the water. It can prolong the cycling process. Just let it go through the process, and once your nitrates are at 0 or near 0 give it another week. In the mean time mix about 5-10 gallons of salt water and get the parameters correct. I leave mine sit for about 3-4 days for temperature and salt to completely mix, sometimes a week with a power head sitting inside. Then once the cycle is complete do a weekly water change of 5-10 gallons once a week for 3 weeks and that should take care of the water. Also using a power head to blow some of the stuff off the rock for the filter to collect can help as well. Just remember to clean your filter pads so your not just relocating dead stuff or your nitrates may spike. Do not add any water clearing chemicals or anything like that just let it work itself out. The key to the reef hobby is patience. And I struggle with this a lot. Good luck and keep us posted!

I've have nitrite finally!!! Was testing it for the past few days.. it is hovering around 1.0 and nitrate also go up to 10. But ammonia haven't comes down at all (still 8+). Think it need at least another week or more to comes down. So when my tank is cycled, I can take my filter pad out and replaces it or can I do that any time?