African Black Knife

Pro_builder

I know that they like to have tubes or caves to hide in. They ca nswimm forward, backward, up, down. They like frozen shrimp for food. They are a night fish, not out much during the day.
They are really cool to watch. I used to have one in my Freshwater setup.

Here is a link to them:
African Knifefish

Witfull

one of my fav freshies!! they are a shy poor eye sighted scaleless fish from the amazon basin. they hunt for prey and navigate by emmitting a low electrical field. they prefer a slightly acidic water with lots of caves. they come out more at night but will come out during the day if food is presented.
interesting side note,,,indians of the region believed the fish to be the spirits of their ancestors and never mosested the fish and if caught netting released it immediately and had to pray and make sacrifices inorder not to upset their loved ones.

edit: they are very suseptiple to medication burns...if treating the tank they are in use half dosage or remove from tank!

Last edited:

Maxx

Nice fish..Lots of personality. Everyone else gve you pretty much all the basics you need to keep it. They do jump from time to time.
Good luck,
Nick

mwrager

Originally posted by Witfull

interesting side note,,,indians of the region believed the fish to be the spirits of their ancestors and never mosested the fish and if caught netting released it immediately and had to pray and make sacrifices inorder not to upset their loved ones.
I did not know that Witfull, very good info. I know from having fresh water fish for years, this fish can be alot of fun.