Advise Needed Urgently

a1emma

please can you help my nitrate level ect seem fine but my tank,plants,ornaments and gravel are all going a horrible brown this seems to get worst every day........any help very grateful.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
How long has your tank been running? What are your tank parameters...ammonia, nitrite, nitrate (actual numbers). What type of brown is it...a mat, does it have bubbles in it? What are your tank inhabitants? Are you using RO/DI water?

Hopefully with these answers as a start we can get on the right path. Can you post a picture of the brown?

Gina

RS STAFF
How long has your tank been set up? In the beginning you can expect an outbreak of brown algae. This is normal. It should go away in a couple of weeks. At least, that is what happened to us. We also went into a panic thinking something was horribly wrong just to find out it was normal. If your tank has been set up recentley...just hang in there. What are you using for filtration?

A better discription of your set-up would also help us to help you!

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Hey, Gina...appears we were thinking at the same time. Also, a1emma, are you running a skimmer?

a1emma

the tank holds 140 gallons of water,my nitrate is 0, my ph is 1.021,and i am runing a fluval exturnal filter and a standard internal filter. i have three clownfish, 1 regal tang,1 humbug and five blue pullers........hope this helps

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I'm going to assume the 1.021 is actually your specific gravity and not pH. How long has the tank been set-up? As Gina stated, new tanks will go through algae outbreaks....it's just determining if your's is past this stage yet. Also, how many pounds of live rock, if any do you have?

SaltyQueen

you mentioned gravel- what type of substrate are you using- is it the aquarium gravel they sell at pet stores, crushed coral, sand, or something else?

Scooterman

a1emma, seems like you're a newbie maybe?
If so then you came to the right place for help.
Lets start with your set-up, how long has it been up and running? Please post some information on your system, like, lighting, substraite, live rock, name brand of test kits and how many do you have? Did you allow for the thank to cycle?

addict

Sounds like diatoms to me (the 'horrible' brown says something to me). I found the best way to get rid of diatoms is buy plenty of snails... they'll chow that brown stuff.

ReefLady

Staff member
Reefer addict, I'll disagree. It's a good way to get rid of the diatoms, but not to eliminate the source- which, ignored, could be trouble long-term.

An internal filter and a canister filter aren't the best filtration for your tank. Live rock would be better, and a protein skimmer should definitely be in your plan.

Other than that, we need to know how long the tank has been set up, etc etc that everyone else has already asked. :) Don't worry, we'll get you on the right track though!

Travis

SaltyQueen

I agree, travis. definitely needs more biological filtration, and if the substrate is in fact gravel, that can tend to trap diatoms & either needs to be removed or vacuumed off frequently.