Advice re Dwarf Angel for 55 Gal.

Evelyn

I have a six month old, 55 gal. tank with live rock and a peaceful community of seven (LM Blenny, Yellow-Tailed, Blue Damsel, 3 Chromis, 2 Clowns) fish. I'd like to add one more special fish, maybe a Flame or Lemon Peel Dwf. Angel. Anyone have any advice, comments to help me choose? I have three, small soft corals--Green Star Polyps, a Mushroom, and Brown Button Polyps, but I'm not a reef tank by any stretch. I do know angels like to nip at corals. Thank you and Happy New Year!

ReefLady

Staff member
Hi Evelyn and welcome!

If you're even thinking about adding more corals (or value the ones you have) I would strongly recommend against the lemonpeel.

People say most dwarf angels are a "maybe" - the lemonpeel is nearly guaranteed to be a nipper if not worse!

With the flame, you'll be taking a chance as well but many people have successfully kept them in reef tanks.

T

Evelyn

Thanks. I've found your info confirmed with other research I've been doing so the Flame Angel may be the one! Now I just have to get my nerve up to buy it. My LFS is a great store with clean tanks and healthy fish, but it has no guarantees which, I guess, is normal. They also will not hold a fish for a week while I observe it. It goes to the first person with the money. They are very specific about acclimating. Their formula is to float the fish in the bag for 20 minutes tops, adding water to the float bag during the last 5 min. They say once the bag is open, not to ever let it float more than 5 min.

blue_eyes53813

5 minutes seems a little quick. I float the bags for 20-25 minutes. I poor the fish and water into a bowl or bigger bucket. Add 1/2 cup tank water every 4-5 minutes , once the water amount in bowl has doubled. I scoop half water out of bowl and do it all over again. Add 1/2 cup tank water every 4-5 minutes until it doubles again.Probably takes close to 20-25 of adding the tank water.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
They also will not hold a fish for a week while I observe it. It goes to the first person with the money. They are very specific about acclimating.

Dwarf Angels sometimes are caught with cyanide so I would recommend you find a store that will hold the fish to make sure he's eating and active before you purchase. It can take a week or two for them to begin eating prepared foods so make sure you have plenty of mature LR for him to graze on during this period of aclimation to your tank.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I have a potters angel and so far so good. He picks at the LR and any bits of macro algae he can find, but it seems that he's very careful to avoid any corals when he is picking for food.

Evelyn

You'll have to stay tuned for a pic. This guy is NOT going to hold still long enough for any portrait. He is so awesome. Definitely will rule my tank as my celebrity fish. When I went to the LFS tonight, I wasn't really looking for the Eibl, but there were several factors in his favor, price was modest ($30), plus he wasn't just off the boat. He'd been there 3 weeks or more and looked very peppy and healthy. Then he looked me in the eye and begged to go home with me. What else could I do? He has been a treat to watch tonight as I held my breath and let him loose. Exploring everywhere, not at all shy, and so far no interest in chasing anything. His colors, although less gaudy than some of the other angels, are beautiful, a very handsome fish. Lights just went out. I'll cross my fingers everybody's friends in the morning. :)

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Dwarfs are really cool ! Just have to be careful if you have Zoo's and Clams they love to nip everything !

Evelyn

You'll have to stay tuned for a pic. This guy is NOT going to hold still long enough for any portrait. He is so awesome. Definitely will rule my tank as my celebrity fish. When I went to the LFS tonight, I wasn't really looking for the Eibl, but there were several factors in his favor, price was modest ($30), plus he wasn't just off the boat. He'd been there 3 weeks or more and looked very peppy and healthy. Then he looked me in the eye and begged to go home with me. What else could I do? He has been a treat to watch tonight as I held my breath and let him loose. Exploring everywhere, not at all shy, and so far no interest in chasing anything. His colors, although less gaudy than some of the other angels, are beautiful, a very handsome fish. Lights just went out. I'll cross my fingers everybody's friends in the morning. :)

reefjitsu

I may be way out of line with this but..... that seems like an awful lot of fish for a 55 gallon to me. And with that lineup of fish, I would get ready for world war 3 to break out in your tank at any moment. I would keep an eye on the damnsels for sure. They usually play well when young, but the older they get the more territory they will want.
Also, I apologize for sticking my nose in with this unsolicated comment but I am doing it with the intent of helping, not trying to be an @$$.