Advice Needed - Feeding a Kole Tang

Melanie

I just purchased a new Kole Tang.

018-9.jpg

My other tank residents are a lawnmower blenny, royal gramma, oscellaris clown, and six line wrasse. I have a good bit of hair algae in the tank. I feed 1/4 of a mysis cube once a day or 1/4 of a cube of cyclops once a day (mix it up).

The Kole tang seems to be sucking on all the glass and rocks right now. Do you think I should supplement his diet with one of the frozen cube algae foods and/or dried algae strips? Or should I just let him clean all the algae out of the tank first?

hma

Hi Melanie,

a Kole tang never eat hair algae. He pecks in every short green algae but i never saw a Kole tang eat hair algae.

BTW ...nice addition Melanie :thumbup:

leebca

What usually happens is that this Tang will eat very short hair and other algae, including some other micro organisms. It is best to physically remove all hair algae. The fish will usually keep it cropped low.

I usually don't recommend anyone to acquire a fish for performing some sort of function in the marine system. They should be acquired, trained to eat proper foods in quarantine, and if they also consume other things in the aquarium, mores the better.

Feeding any fish on things in an aquarium usually comes up short on nutrition. The aquarium is closed off from the ocean and not a complete 'banquet' of nutrients fishes normally have at their disposal.

Good luck! :thumbup:

lcstorc

Nice addition. One of my favorite tangs.
I would get him used to eating from the clip. Sometimes it takes a bit for them to figure it out. Usually my fish eat what I don't want them to in the tank so I don't count on that to be a help.