Adding live rock with coraline and very low lights

My lights are not that strong they are enough to grow hair algae and some green type of coraline algae just a very small spot so If I add a cured rock full of coraline algae will it still live and thrive and possibly spread to my other rocks. I also have kent purple tech if that matters to. I bought my lights and tank at Walmart the lights are LEDs but are very low.

DaveK

Usually when you move LR with coraline algae on it, your going to get quite a bit of die off from just the move. Under ideal conditions it will grow back. You don't mention exactly what lighting you have or the size of the tank, so it's not really possible to say if the coraline algae will survive in your system.

As far as the various "purple products" go, save your money. If conditions are good, coraline algae will grow. Once it get going and you are scraping it from everything, your quickly learn that it's just a different type of problem algae. It just looks better than green hair algae or cyano.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
+1 Dave. Dont wish for Coraline. If you have it growing, it will end up being a nusance. Scraping off glass, overflows, return vents, and having to remove powerheads every 6-10 mo and run them in pure vinegar for a couple days to unclog them. I dont wish that on anyone. NOW that said, its slower growing that onther nusance algae, so easier to stay ahead of. It doest require alot of light, so pretty much any coral ready light will grow it. Standard t12 floresences, ie lights that come with prefab kits or all in one kits, such as one would use for a FOWLR tank usually wont support it very well with a single bulb setup. Two bulbs and it will grow slowly, usually on glass/rocks nearest the lights.

I have a 29 gallon tank and I don't know the lighting I just got it from Walmart it's just some simple LEDs it has three lights per strip thing and their is 7 things

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
if you do get coraline, it will be very slow. Off the shelf kits from walmart arent coral ready.

I'm going to get the Coralife Lunar Aqualight HO T5 Aquarium Light Fixture from dr foster and smith really soon Is this light fixture ok for like alas and Xenia and torch coral you know stuff like that

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
By the way, you mention green coralline... I don't think there really is green, I think it's just purple which has been grazed on overnight and grown a thin algal coating.