Adding Crushed Coral to sump to help control PH?

LiVEWiRE

I am currently trying to get my ph to stabilize at 8.3 and I have been all over the place from 7.7 to 8.6. My nitrate is still high at about 20ppm but I am just now closing on my 2nd cycle but every thing else is fine. I have done about a total of 4 water changes of about 25-35% so far. I have a 10lb bag of crushed coral I have had for awhile that I still have not used and thought why not add it to my sump system where I have alot of room.

I currently have my 10 gallon sump with all of my filtering like renew and Pura filtration pad. I also have a canister packed with carbon and chemi pure but still cant get the ph just right. Do you think that the crushed coral would benefit my buffering ability to hold the ph of 8.3 that I am tying to archive?

DaveK

Crushed coral might do a little in the short term, since there will be some dust in it that was made during the manufacturing process. Long term, the water really needs to go acid before crushed coral will dissolve.

I would keep up the water changes, and make sure I was using a quality salt.

LiVEWiRE

Ok, I will continue to do the water changes. Every few days. I am using the best salt that I can buy with is Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt and its the most expensive that I have found Thats why i hate to keep changing the water every day or 2 lol. But I will continue and see what happens. Any other suggestions?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
sorry cant find the link, anyways, test tank water for ph, take a sample of tank water outside and swirl it around for 5 minutes and test, if ph is higher you probably have poor gas exchange or high levels of C02 in you house, do you have fans on the display or sump, also try opening a window in the tanks room

LiVEWiRE

No fans on the display or sump. because I am closing on my 2nd cycle my LFS told me to add my cleaners, and continue water changes. Then in a few days start adding my corals to get my balance right. So what do you think? I added my cleaners because I can always change water every day with them to get my Nitrate down but adding corals now? I would start out with a cheep hardy one so in case I mess up. But I would prefer my tank to be correct so I don't have to sacrifice a coral. any suggestions on a hardy coral and what are the right parameters for soft and hard corals?

tbittner

I wouldn't add any corals for quite a while until the tank is completely done cycling and has 100% completely stabilized.

How long are you running your lights in a 24 hr period?

LiVEWiRE

Thank you mps9506, that should take care of the question. And I will not add any crushed coral until the tank matures.

flricordia

Try dripping kalkwasser makeup water if you don't have a kalkwasser reactor and use a buffer like Reef Builder in your top-off water. Best not to allow the 2 to directly mix. I had trouble with keeping ph up when first set-up new 75gl and now it stays at 8.3-8.4 during day and 8.1 during night.
I loose aprox 1.3gls through evaporation daily and drip kalk to makeup approx 3/4 of that, the rest madeup through ATO RO/DI with enough Reef Builder to keep alk at 4meq.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
I am currently trying to get my ph to stabilize at 8.3 and I have been all over the place from 7.7 to 8.6.

Do you think that the crushed coral would benefit my buffering ability to hold the ph of 8.3 that I am tying to archive?

Your PH will always fluctuate up and down... don't become obsessed with 8.3.

My reef goes from 7.8 to 8.3... :thumbup:

lcstorc

Also remember the ph drops when the lights are out. Your lowest reading should be right before the lights come on and the highest right before they go off. To help minimize the swing many people have fuges running on reverse lighting.