Adding a sump...need some help....

SunnyX

Ok, I am getting a sweet deal on a used Lifereef LF1-125 Berlin Sump with 24" Skimmer and a Dolphin Ampmaster 3000 pump . Only gonna pay $240 for it.

My tank is not Reef-Ready. What overflow's and stuff do i need to get.
Please List them.

Thank you. :)

BoomerD

How big is the tank? If it's less than 100 gallons, a LifeReef single overflow would be plenty. It should flow at about 700 gph. I think that's about the rating for the LF 125 anyway. I'd use the Ampmaster for a closed loop, since you're not going to be able to get nearly 3000 GPH from any overflow. There are a few plumbing nightmares with trying to get that much flow through any closed loop system, but it can be done. Maybe Pro-Builder cann offer some tips for bending PVC to make a suction tube that will work. You'd need 1 1/2" PVC in order to get anywhere close to enough to feed that pump.
I'd use something like a Mag 7 or 9.5 for the return pump from the sump. Does this come with the pump for the skimmer? See LifeReef for recommendations if not. You should stay with the pumps Jeff recommends, as they are what he tests the equipment with, and will probide you with the maximum efficiency for your skimmer.

What a sweet deal. I was looking at pretty much the same Lifereef set up a couple of months ago, without the Ampmaster, and the asking price was $500. + shipping.

jks1

I second the 1.5" for the CL in. I run 2 MAG 24s on a split CL. I plumbed it all in w/ 3 1" inputs to the two pumps, but they really fought against each other. I had to run the pumps alternately to get some decent flow. Here's a pic of mine. Is it possible to get your tank drilled? If not do look at Pro_builders setup for an up and over..

wooddood

the wood dude
sunny like john said you dont have to drill the tank for a closed loop, as suggested by john look at troy's setup or look at mine. if i can help you just holler.