Adding a Sump and Refuge

KicksNJ

Ok so I have a 150 gallon display tank that I am going to setup. I also want
a Sump/Refuge for that tank. I have 2 extra 55g tanks that I would like to
use for that. 1 for the sump and 1 for the refuge. What would be the best
way to tie in all the tanks together without getting myself into trouble. Can
I bridge the 2 55g's together with bulkheads? Thoughts and ideas please.......

KicksNJ

Thanks for the link. I guess I will just add a few bulkheads and see what happens. I'll practice on a piece of scrap glass first before I drill a tank.
First time drilling glass ;)

framerguy

drilling and using a Weir type overflow would be the best way to link them. Go ssssssslllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwly and use lots of water.

chipmunkofdoom2

The only thing you need to be sure of is that your overflow will drain faster than your return pump will send water back. The reason many people use an overflow (whether it be HOB or drilled in) is because it will only take as much water will flow into it before it will stop.. an excellent feature in some sort of pump failure or power outage.

If your overflow is rated at 1500gph and your return pump is only rated at 1000 gph, the overflow will only be able to drain 1000gph so everything will be fine. Just make sure your pump won't return the water faster than your overflow will drain it.

Jeremy0322

If you do decide to drill the tank its not too difficult, I drilled 2 holes in mine with a power drill and a bit off of ebay. Do it outside if its warm and use the hose, it provides plenty of water. AND, use the bit to mark the hole you are going to drill, and then on the opposite side of the glass use some packing take and run a couple of strips across the area so when you punch through the glass circle doesn't fall and break the opposite side of the tank. You can also put a towel where the glass would hit just to make sure.

LPS_Blasto

If you're going to drill it and have a separate sump and refugium, then run them on different pumps. Don't even connect the sump to the refugium.

You might want 20x or 30x turnover in your sump. So get a big honkin' pump and put the skimmer in the sump. Thats all for the sump. Big pump and a big skimmer.

You really only want about 5x or 10x turnover in the refugium. It's called dwell time. If you move the water through the refugium too fast it has no contact time with the macroalgae and the DSB. Doesn't work as well as it should. Use a 1000gph or 1500gph pump for the refugium. Use a 6" -- 10" DSB and load it up with cheato or other macros.

2 separate systems. Best of both worlds, although not always the simplest or cheapest.