Acrylic Tanks - Polishing

jthomps123

I've recently acquired a 30 gal acrylic tank. Its apparently been 'cleaned' with a non-acrylic friendly device and has a nice haze of small scratches all along the front panels. It looks as if someone has taken a handful of sand and given it a nice rub down. Is this salvageable? I'd like to know if this can be polished out before I get a polishing kit and go to work on it. Anyone have experience with polishing haze (or taking out pronounced scratches for that matter) on an acrylic tank? Thanks.
Jason

goldenmean

If the scratches are not deep you can polish them out.
It sounds like you just have a little cloudy hazing and small scratches.
I used the kit found on the bottom of this link.
Marinedepot.com Search results for 'Cleaning Kits'
I was doing a 55g tank and I needed more of the liquid abrasive than what came with the kit. It is right above the kit on the marine depot page.

boozeman

you can also try a local autoparts store for acrylic polish and an electric orbital polisher with a lambswool bonnet

goldenmean

Yes I did use an electric orbital polisher for the final liquid polishing.
The different grade wet sandpaper that is in the kit i used by hand to get the scratches out, That created the hazing effect. Then the liquid polish cleared the acrylic up. If you dont have the electric orb polisher you can get one for about $20. Well worth it!!

My lfs carries a mitt that you can polish out scratches.I'll stop by today and find out what it is called and get back to you.they work pretty good and he was showing me how it works on his display tank..But I decided to go glass...lol