Acro Bleaching

reefer gladness

Run alk in the 7-8dkh range for an SPS tank only if you are carbon dosing. If you aren't dosing carbon then 8.5 dkh is fine.

To answer your question, water changes would only lower alkalinity if the freshly mixed saltwater has lower alk than your display tank. Otherwise it will fall over time.

Choff

Your other post today you asked what 120 ppm was in dKH. I answered at 6.72. Yesterday you posted it was 8.5. If that's accurate that's a crazy alk drop and is going to cause you problems.

If you're starting to dose, keep your alk and calcium in the proper ratio and that your mag is in the proper range.

...stupid auto correct

Corvus

Your other post today you asked what 120 ppm was in dKH. I answered at 6.72. Yesterday you posted it was 8.5. If that's accurate that's a crazy alk drop and is going to cause you problems.

If you're starting to dose, keep your alk and calcium in the proper ratio and that your mag is in the proper range.

...stupid auto correct

Actually, I was merely trying to figure out how to use the Hanna tester that a friend is sending my way! I was using 120 as an example (actually dkH went up to 10 after I did dose a bit, but I will address that issue).

C.

orieng

I would stop all kinds of dosing for a few days and test my water regularly. After the water stabilises I would than dose what is actually needed. That way you will not have this swings in the water parameters. And get some good tests kits to give you some accuracy in the results. Thanks

Choff

Agree totally with orieng.

When I started dosing and I did my weekly WC and then took measurements every day for a week. Did my weekly WC and tested again. I did this for 2 weeks to get an understanding of how much my corals were using and how much my WC were replacing. From there I figured out using calculators how much I needed to replace every day to maintain stability between WC.

You still need to keep an eye on it because the consumption changes as your corals grow or add new pieces. It's a constant adjustment. I just had to do it again because I now run the reef Genesis WC system that replaces 1 gallon every 4 hours so this changed my dosing program again.

One if these days I'll get my calcium reactor online. :)

...stupid auto correct