Ack, what a miserable week

Pulker

After a year of things going very well..... Early in the week one of my clownfish (my first fish purchases) went hardwood floor surfing. I had just about got over it when tonight's disaster happened. My flame hawkfish apparently tried for a turbo snail, the snail retracted into it's shell, clamping the head of the hawkfish inside of it. The hawkfish did not make it, I can't tell if the snail is dead or traumatized yet. In retrospect it would have made an interesting picture but I tried to rescue at as soon as I could. (Sniff).

rmlevasseur

Never heard of a snail trapping the head of a fish... maybe more likely that the snail was eating the already dead fish. You sure you don't have a big hermit in that shell?

dianezoo

You dont normally think of clowns as jumpers.Bummer to loose the hawkfish too, that is a strange way to loose him. I have huge snails in my tank they can close up very fast, was he hawk real small?

lcstorc

Sorry to hear about your bad week. :(
Poor fishies.
I will never understand why they think jumping out of the water is a good idea.

fata1ity

After a year of things going very well..... Early in the week one of my clownfish (my first fish purchases) went hardwood floor surfing. I had just about got over it when tonight's disaster happened. My flame hawkfish apparently tried for a turbo snail, the snail retracted into it's shell, clamping the head of the hawkfish inside of it. The hawkfish did not make it, I can't tell if the snail is dead or traumatized yet. In retrospect it would have made an interesting picture but I tried to rescue at as soon as I could. (Sniff).

AHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA:laughroll

Pulker

Ok Update to the death cycle.

Clownfish 1 leaped out to his death in week 1. Then the hawkfish was killled by getting clamped on by a snail retracting in his shell in week 2 (The snail survived btw). Then clownfish 2 leaped out in week 3 (depression I suspect). This after never losing anything in the year plus since I had the tank.

The only change I made to my tank was rescaping so the tops of the live rock were nearer to the surface of the water.

Well my LFS had a mated pair of perculas which were hosted by a BTA. I got em all for 95 bucks. This is my first anenome. It is cool except the 'nem doesn't want to say put. I put an aerated lid of my tank to prevent anymore suicide attempts.

I'm happy again.

aaromano

Clownfish can get airborne mine have done it when in attack mode at me when I'm working in the tank . They go for my hand near surface I move they overshoot and I scoop em back up into tank. Its happened at least 3 times. Your clowns were probably trying to escape another fish or chase off another fish. The little buggers are quite territorial.