Ack! Nudibranchs!

addict

Well, the wife pointed out a spot on one of our corals that was a widening white spot this morning. Realizing it was tissue recession, I got an iodine dip together and dropped it in... I was blowing on the receding spot with an eyedropper when I noticed some polyps that were out and getting blown around... or so I thought.
When it started coming off, I kept blowing at it thinking it was dying tissue, when lo and behold... it was a nudibranch. Then I noticed a second one tucked further into the crack that the first one was in, and blew it out as well.
Well, I had found the source of the recession it appears, since they were camped out right in the center of the receding spot.
I haven't tried to identify them, but thought I'd post a pic for others to see.
Crazy little critters... at least it's not RTN. :D

addict

Here's the spot that I found them... they were hiding in the nook behind the little corallite sticking out... looked just like the coral tissue, polyps and all.

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Wow Dave! Glad you found the source of the problem.. That's got to be a relief. Hopefully no more of them! Thanks for sharing!:)

addict

Howdy Johnny. :)

My wife found 6 more of them and an egg sac in a different spot while I was in school... :eek:

We'll have to keep an eye on this coral for the next few days to see if any more show up... hopefully we got them all.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
You need to keep an eye on that coral for the next several months, I can't tell you how may times I thought I got all the monti munching nudis out of my tank, just to see them reappear a few weeks later.

addict

More nudi's

Well, was giving the tank a hurricane treatment yesterday, and while a couple colonies of my zoa's were closed, I noticed that they also were infested with nudibranchs.
Here's a shot I took of them all in a shot glass... there's about 25 of them in there...

at least the zoa's were easy to treat... just sprayed the nudi's off with an eyedropper in a bowl of saltwater.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Dave

It looks like you have beeen "nuked" :lol:

They aren't one of the more common nukes that plauge the tank like, Trtoniopsis sp but look like one of the Glaucidae/Facelinidae, such as Phyllodesmium sp, which are Aeolid nukes. But the pics aren't to hot to tell for sure and there are a number of others in the Aeolid group that look like this somewhat also. Go to the link Curt posted and scroll down towards the bottom and look for this AEOLIDINA :D

Last edited:

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I think you may have it Teri, :D either that one or the one linked on that same page Aeolidiopsis ransoni. 2 booksa on nukes, over 400 pg and +1000 pics and not one Aleolidiopsis :verymad:

ReefLady

Staff member
Not sure I had the same nudi's, but salifert flatworm exit nuked mine real good. :guns:

Might try dipping the corals in a triple-dose of the flatworm exit.