Acan

mekesterson93

Hey guys, I just picked up this acan frag from my LFS yesterday.. any advice on caring for them and if this one looks normal?
52b0dab964957eb6e1c2e03b8f1bc0cb.jpg

jbow50

Very pretty! I have one and he likes different types of flow and lighting. Right now i have a 75 gallon with 4 t5s and hes in the bottom but i have very good flow too though. Also they like to be fed often. I feed mine once a week at least.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Squatch XXL

Also they like to be fed often
Mine eats like a hog. I feed mine with frozen krill and other random meats......Though these coral act like they will only eat at night, mine will certainly perk up to eating any time of day.

jbow50

Haha, thanks everyone. How long should I wait to begin target feeding?
Honestly, my acan extended his tentacles the same night i got him. I went ahead and fed him some omega one chopped shrimp and he gladly took it. Ive had him for a month now and tonight he grabbed a piece of seaweed my tangs cut loose and actually ate it. I've never heard of that happen before, but it did! As long as you see tentacles you're fine. A low nutrient tank will make him extend them more frequently i believe, at least IME. Otherwise he can just filter feed from the waters organic nutrients and still be happy.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Squatch XXL

Okay thanks. How long should the tentacles be? My acans are "extended" but seem kinda short?
Short is a good description. Mine kinda "blooms" like a flower at night, and the nearly translucent tentacles are highly visible. They will instantly grab any sorts of meat based foods.

When I target feed, I go out of my way to make sure every head is offered food. Some of the newer heads (smaller) may not be as grabby....

I target feed 2-3 times a week...basically when I feed my fish and other denizens of the tank. I don't feed the fish, I feed the tank...including all the hermits.

Squatch XXL

Thanks for the info Squatch! Would mysis be too big for them? Would brine be better? Or pellets maybe??
To be honest, I don't know.

I use this product:
http://www.marinedepot.com/San_Fran...Francisco_Bay_Brand-SB5173-FIFDFZFSCF-vi.html

However, I know that my LPS and some of my paly are total hogs. IF they can grab food chunks, they generally can consume them. I use that product because it is a mix of various things in random sizes. 1/3 a cube or less is all I use....Add to one large shot glass full of tank water, and it is spectacular. The broth feeds the pocci, and the solids feed the lps....anything that is remaining is available to the fish and the hermits.

At first I hated my acan. It grew too slow.....In the past I have had a very hands-off approach to husbandry.....I feed the tank, and if the coral gets food great......I usually don't keep much fish because I simply think they deserve better than my fish tank lol.......However, my Mantis shrimp died and since then I have felt safer putting my hands in a tank to target feed.....And I have seen so much growth since then...and not just with corals with mouths. My montipora are doing exceptional, as well as my cyphestra. After the mantis died, I added a wrasse to help with potential coral pests. She is only there because she does work.