? about live rock

reefnut

Hi all , I bought 13 lbs of cured live rock today at my LFS 7.99 a lb. he said it was cured and it did smell good so I put it in my sump. how long before i notice if there is going to be a spike, a day a wk? and what do I need to do if i have a spike? my tank is a 65 gal with lots of coral and fish. it has been set up for year. my lfs said i would not see anything or problems, so any advise is appreciated. thks

corrado007

Just my opinion but if it doesn't smell I doubt you'll get any serious spike. If you do I'd just do a water change and keep an eye on it. You should be fine.

JWarren

With the addition of live rock you should not see a spike, but a reduction, if not within the first 24 hours, you will over time. If you get a spike, there is die off taking place, death = ammonia. If the rock didn't smell rank going in, you should be fine.

Witfull

if you would see a spike it would be in the 24 to 48 hr mark. the most critical time (if rock is honestly cured) is the drive home and how its packed. submerged or wet wrapped.