Aaaahhhh!!!! My Tank Crashed

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Wow sorry to hear that Prow but I'm glad most livestock made it !
I'm also very surprised you didn't get a massive bacterial bloom when you added so much vinegar :bugout:

Anyway I'm happy to see that the tank is recovering nicely.

boozeman

you can also attach a length of pvc to a small maxijet and create a sort of reef ''leaf blower'' to blow off that residue and detritus from the rock

prow

frankie, thats a good idea with hose frillies. i wonder if new a clean vaccum attachment would work. mmmmm

cheeks69, i was thinking about that too. tanks always been pretty low on the nutrient levels. but, i think i got a little lucky on the amount of vinegar i dosed. enough lime went in and the acid from the vinegar added was just enough to netulize the kalk. that and it was not a normal dosing, the ph was 9.9 and the resulting percipitate totally covered everything, perhaps blocked much of the bacterial actions. but man i dosed a full gallon of vinegar. die off might creep up on me.

boozeman, i do that already:D

i think i will just do a 20gal water change to bring the salinity back up. by the end of the week the new tank should be ready for the rock and sand. was planning on bleaching the rock cause i got some Dictyota on my last coral additions. did not QT the last addition. now its becoming a problem. a blessing in disguise maybe:)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I am very glad to hear that everything is doing well :thumbup:

HINT: With the photos you've shown, you can easily place a plastic bag (fish bag works great) over the skimmer's overflow. If it does overflow again, the bag will direct all of the water down into the sump.

Frankie - I am going to use your 'frilly hose' method, thanks! :)

Whiskey

Just some guy, you know?
Glad you were able to save it Prow! Those numbers don't look bad at all. I had this same exact experiance with my 50G and I lost almost everything :(

Good work! And best of luck on your upcoming transfer to the 180G tank :)
Whiskey

mps9506

I am very glad to hear that everything is doing well :thumbup:

HINT: With the photos you've shown, you can easily place a plastic bag (fish bag works great) over the skimmer's overflow. If it does overflow again, the bag will direct all of the water down into the sump.

Hmmm... Good idea

Glad things didn't go to bad prow, and nice pickup on the fish.

prow

Must be going well he's out buying new fish:smoking:
well, it was not planned. just looking and wanting one for so long, i had to jump on it. just glad i have this 30gal thats been running for a long time now, with nothing but a few snails and lots of pods.

not a bad idea woodstock, i already put a longer riser piece and secured things.

Jack, great but i can not build my stand, just dont have the space to. sucks i have to buy one. watch ya got:invisible

kathywithbirds

We've had various cabinetry and desks and shelving in that mission style... just polished enough, just casual enough :snshne:

BTW, if you like that alot and want a nice end table to stash fish stuff :invisible , you should check out World Market, don't know if theyre in CA but got some good similar stuff, we have a pair of nifty bookcases in a Japanese-type style close to the mission type.