A slow beginning

kdavies

Hello, all. I was wondering; what equipment I would need for a 200 gallon saltwater reef tank. If you would, please leave the equipment list and what that piece of equipment does for a reef tank. Thanks everyone :)

Daimyo68

Not to sound rude, but with the questions you asked, you need to do much more research before "diving" into a reef tank. Check these forums and others for information as to what is needed and what each piece of equipment does.

Check these to start and understand what your getting into: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/just-starting-out-sw-beginners/33555-look-frequently-asked-questions.html

There are also several great articles to read by Randy Holmes. Here's one of the most important things you will need to know about, Saltwater: The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 1: The Salt Water Itself by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Slow beginnings are good :)

I'll list the basics you can research what they do ;)

Skimmer, rated for twice your water volume is the rule of thumb$

Lights depend on what you plan on keeping. The most commonly used lights in combination or along are Metal Halides, T5ho, Power Compacts, Vho/T12s, LED, you really have to decide what suits your needs.

Sump/Refugium there are several ways to go here but there again you have to research to see what fits your application.

Return Pumps and Skimmer pumps, Danner or supreme mag drive pumps are popular, reliable, and affordable. There are a lot of pumps manufactures to suit many applications. "Research"

Heaters of course :)

Refractometer

Sulifert test kits

Rodi unit with Tds meters.

Well that is some of the basic equipment, the type and brands are really up to you.

The best advice I can give you is research and buy quality equipment, there is a lot of junk on the market so before buying big ticket items check all sources for reviews and opinions. This is an expensive hobby and you don't want to be buying twice.

Enjoy :)

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
"Ever had a fish tank besides a beta?" That doesn't make sense and what does that matter anyways?

Really nothing about a freshwater setup is going to help you with a reef tank. I understand that the experience can help but it's not necessary, 95% of the equipment used on a freshwater will not work on a reef and it just add to the confusion for some people. I think the people with no experience starting from scratch are better off since they are not trying to compare or relate one to the other.

The title says a slow beginning so this is a research thread of someone wanting to learn, not I have my tank setup and now, how do I fix all these mistakes.

Kudos for researching, it doesn't matter what you know as long as your willing to take the time to learn, this is not rocket science but mistakes and rushing = $$$$$ in this hobby, before moving forward make sure you understand the costs and know what your getting into :)

Keep reading and asking questions, we have a lot of very knowledgeable members on this site :) "I'm not one of them" lol just a fellow hobbyist.

rgfast

+1 on that Eric, this is an ask to learn forum, not a slap in face because I don't know forum we know where to go for that!!!

I agree with Eric.

and we all started out as beginners just like kdavies is. I think he(she?) is doing the smarter thing by asking first and starting slow. I doubt (s)he will start slow and not do any research. (S)He is just asking for some advice and a place to start the research.

kospaintball

wow slow down, i wasn't trying to "slap him in the face" i was being serious. When i started my SW tank i thought that it was going to be identical to FW... but with salt. I was only asking because some people (im sure) are going to make the same mistakes i did. If he said "yea i have had a 55 SW tank for 2 years" then i was going to recommend some reading if he had said "no, i had a gold fish when 10 years ago" i was going to recommend some other reading. How can you know what to offer the person and not insult their current knowledge if you don't know where they are. Sooooooo lets take a step back. From the original post the way he worded things (to me atleast), he seemed unsure of this hobby. So i was only trying to get some info on what he knows.

anywho kdavies have you been to your LFS yet? If so what did they tell you? And as said before.... i guess i shouldn't ask so bluntly this time.... what fish experience do you have so far.

Reddog170

There are some really good books out there. One thing to remember is to do just what you are doing, going slow. I will use myself as an example. I switched tanks and got in a rush and forgot a step causing a three month crash. You are doing great asking questions and going slow. Shaun

kdavies

I've kept fish before... I've kept show guppies for years. I've kept a few saltwater reef tanks in my day with none being successful. Soooo in other words i'm not a total noob. The reason I am asking is because when I had a reef tank a few years ago the LFS talked to me in "reefer lingo" without explaining himself.

Thanks to all who helped with leaving the equipment list. I certainly have my homework cut out for me now.

kdavies

I agree with Eric.

and we all started out as beginners just like kdavies is. I think he(she?) is doing the smarter thing by asking first and starting slow. I doubt (s)he will start slow and not do any research. (S)He is just asking for some advice and a place to start the research.

I'm a HE :hallo:

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Do you have any idea what you plan to keep in this tank? That is a major factor in the lighting and the flow.

kdavies

well, here is my plan. I'm going to major in secondary education with a specialization in biology. Since I enjoy keeping fish so much, I thought I could aid in teaching my classroom with a fish tank.

Do you have any idea what you plan to keep in this tank? That is a major factor in the lighting and the flow.

I plan on keeping a lot of EASY softies, and a few fish that get along well with each other. As for the tank, I want it to be big. Obviously for observation reasons, and for the fact that saltwater tanks are "The bigger the better."

I know that I should base my tank around the type of fish I want to keep, but having so much time to plan, I'm more worried about getting the best equipment possible for my tank setup.

I'm clueless, on equipment so where should I start??? :dunno: