A Reef for xx - 90g Reef

Miltonic

Thanks guys and I have another update coming your way!

got some pics and a video today! excuse the cyano I stopped running gfo for a while and this is what happened but now I have it running again and its getting under control. I replaced my T5 bulbs and cut down my photo period so the corals can acclimate to the more intense lighting. This swap was awesome an I got a bunch of cool frags and I have found a group of reefing friends that I've been hanging out and sharing frags and visiting LFS lol

FTS with new bulbs
fts3.jpg

Left side
leftside.jpg

center
centerreef.jpg

Right side
rightside.jpg

and a quick vid, I decided to make
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edkv-lAJ4xg[/youtube]

puffermike

Marvelous work! I just read the thread from beginning to end! Let me try to remember what I wanted to say... I also enjoy Ayumi's music! She has a song called heaven if I remember correctly that's awesome. I'm also in PA! I'm near pittsburgh though. What about you?

The tank looks incredible and i'm kind of glad you didn't upgrade it to 180 because it looks so beautiful the way it is now! Let it just keep on growing! :D

I wanted to ask you what % of water do you change weekly? And are you using any supplements such as calcium or? The growth rate is incredible for your corals.

You definitely must be able to just sit back and look at the tank for a gooooood while with all the beautiful corals you have! That's an awesome feeling and you seem to enjoy it a lot with how many pics you take. Keep posting pics and i'll keep looking at them!

Miltonic

Thanks Mike! Im glad you like my all the work I put in this reef. Im all the way across the state near Philly. Heaven is an awesome ballad from (miss)understood, glad to find someone else that enjoys her music, im anxiously waiting for her to release her 11th album in a month! lol

I was bummed about not upgrading but im happy for the same reason. I change about 15 gallon once a week and trust me I do spent hours staring at everything for hours and will never get tired of it!

here's so more pics
pectinia-2.jpg

scoly-2.jpg

bonsai.jpg

picassoclown-1.jpg

puffermike

I wouldn't get tired of it either! It's an awesome display. Nice pics! Yeah, I figured you were on the other side of the state, considering you are close to "that fish place."

I wonder how good the selection is over there? It's a four hour drive for me. I get most of my fish/corals from Elmers over here. I was trying to find pictures of the place considering they say it's the "largest" pet store in the world. I read they had a stingray pool and other things. I'm just wondering if it was worth the four hour trip to go check out corals and there fish.

With all your pictures and videos you should make a video if you have the right software and hardware to support it. That would be awesome to see. I did a video of my Brackish, mangrove setup that was basically footage of me over the years recording my tanks activity. It turned out neat. Just an idea!

You can check out the video I made here to get an idea of what i'm talking about. YouTube - Brackish Tank Part 1

One of these days i'll make a tank thread too.

Miltonic

I live 20min from the store and i think def worth the trip! They have a huge selection of all types of fish and their coral selection isnt too bad but some pieces can be expensive but I can print out a 30% off coupon every time I go to the store which is usually once a week lol Its dangerous for me because they have all the equipment you need to build any tank you want.

Cool vids, those crabs are really funny and never thought brackish tanks would be this cool I really like your setup.

I'm pretty sure I have the software to do this but I just need to sit down and do it one of these days.

Gyr

Miltonic,
Great photos, thanks for the update. Corals looking awesome, as usual for your tank. Thanks for the shot of the pectinia, still one of my favorites and I am still hoping to find one locally for my tank. All of my LFS's have my name and number if they ever get one in. I may just have to order one on-line. DFS sometimes has them.
What is the name of that purple acro with the green polyps?
Kurt

Miltonic

Thanks kurt, glad you're still around, I was told recently by the person I get my coral from that he has also been looking for a pectinia with two colors like mine and he says he has not been able to find one, the ones he gets are either all green, metallic green or red. he says I was very lucky to get one like this since they are quite rare, He made me appreciate this coral even more since I may be looking at a very rare coral right here. The SPS is called a Garf bonsai.

Gyr

Lucky. I'll keep up my search for pectinia someday I hope to find one as nice as yours. I've heard their colors can be quite variable, too, that's why I hope I can see one before buying. I have heard they can be a bit tough to keep, but yours sure is thriving.

GARF Bonsai, I like it. Time to go shopping.

Kurt

puffermike

I'd be down with the 30% off coupon as well! :D I know how you feel I go to elmers weekly as well... Being an aquarist is addictive but I don't mind.

The crabs are very interesting to watch, they sift sand and the males often do that mating dance that's in the video. I'll be sure to check out a video if you make one but until then keep up with the pics! They are great. :D

Miltonic

Thanks guys :) and kurt hope you got one because they look awesome!

I dont mind going either but my tank is getting full and this makes it so much harder to not want to upgrade lol

here's a couple more pics i missed

watchmangoby.jpg

calitort.jpg

my favorite little wrasse who is not in the 90g but I love this pic
flasherwrasse-1.jpg

marine281

Wow, great thread, I just read through the whole thing. Fantastic growth, looks a very healthy system.

I'm impressed with your lighting setup, thats how I found your chronicle, its helped me make up my mind & i'll be buying a similar one this week :)
I'm starting a 120 in about 3.5 weeks now, can't wait!

Miltonic

Thanks guys, and marine glad you read thw whole good luck with you set up and a 120 is my dream tank right now! so I may upgrade to that from this one in the near future.

ok time for new pics I had the some inspiration yesterday so here they are, most are top down btw

valiaplusothersps.jpg

greentop.jpg

blueslimer.jpg

redplanet2-2.jpg

pearlbtop.jpg

Miltonic

I replaced the hose that was my return and hard plumbed with pvc and as soon as I restarted the pump the flow coming from my return pump was so much higher, im glad i decided to do this. i think im done with all the improvements I been doing to my reef in the last couple of months.

pic lol, My sump area now has a more cleaner look.
7e6bebdd.jpg

here's the hose i was using before
66d79ccf.jpg

Miltonic

The reef is approaching its 14 months of age, its amazing how fast time flies by. Everything is doing great, growing and im quickly running out of room! Im def goign to upgrade to a 120g the biggest I can go within the next few months if everything turns out well this time. anyways here are some pics!

peach tips slimer
peactipsslimer.jpg

undata monti
monti-2.jpg

SPS garden
rightside2.jpg

31.jpg

and new addition! A very nice fat and healthy spotted mandarin gotten from a friend.

mandarin.jpg