A question of survival

What do you think hapened to the Serpent Sea Star

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

This what happened and the reason i'll have only snails and no claws in my new tank. A few months ago i added a Serpent Sea Star in my algae biotope, with the only claws in the tank, 2 skunk shrimp. When i closed down that tank i found the Sea star had been slowly eaten alive , the only possible suspect the shrimp. the only other habitant where my seahorses. So i took the poor thing and put it alone in my new big 65 g to give him time to heal , if at all possible. He had a big gash on his disk, near one of his arm, he was still kiking and alive. I haven't seen him in 3 weeks.

What do you think happened to him, i don't know much about the survival rate of serpent star , but i know that starfish regenerate limbs.

seafansar

I dunno. My dad had a big green serpent star that got attacked by a crab (the bad ones that go around ruining you tank). He put the star in a QT tank that had nothing else in it and a few days later it literally exploded! Legs everywhere! What a mess! It seem to be getting better, but then poof it was gone.

Hopefully that didn't happen to your star! You probably would have seen body parts lying around if it did die. Did it come out a lot before it got hurt? I have one that's out and about every time I feed and another one that hides all the time and at best I can see the tip of it's leg under a rock.

Basile

I dunno. My dad had a big green serpent star that got attacked by a crab (the bad ones that go around ruining you tank). He put the star in a QT tank that had nothing else in it and a few days later it literally exploded! Legs everywhere! What a mess! It seem to be getting better, but then poof it was gone.

Hopefully that didn't happen to your star! You probably would have seen body parts lying around if it did die. Did it come out a lot before it got hurt? I have one that's out and about every time I feed and another one that hides all the time and at best I can see the tip of it's leg under a rock.

Yes if i put food it would hurry up like lightning, pretty cool actually thats why i liked it so, really entertaining, and alive. So no it has been invisible. I searched the sand the best i could ,but the way my sculpture are it difficult in a ddep tank to get everywhere and i may have touched it but not felt it. Its not warm you know or slimy, so who knows. Just wondering. If it exploded or decomposed it didn,t register in my test, amonia or otherwise. This what i'm wondering.

zy112

Hmm, Ive seen what seemed to be perfectly healthy stars just decompose and die... and fairly quickly. If it died, the crabs might have made a quick meal out of it.

Basile

Hmm, Ive seen what seemed to be perfectly healthy stars just decompose and die... and fairly quickly. If it died, the crabs might have made a quick meal out of it.

Their's no claws is my tank from now on , no shrimp either.

zy112

I hear ya, I have some in my nanocube that I swear everyday I am going to take them out lol. Actually last night, it looks like I might have had a turbo fall victim to one. Others might disagree, but I don't think my shrimp are the culprut, but the crabs are evil lol

acemow

I can relate. I had a fairly large serpent star, super active and eating well, one day I saw him in the cave area with the three fish I have, I thought he was trying to eat them, but next day, peppermint shrimp were picking at a small hole on the star's disc center, I put him in QT alone and he ended up disintegrating but I kept hoping he'd regenerate. Too bad, he was cool, would take shrimp and such from my fingers. Not sure if you have enough claws in your tank to have eaten it completely, it's a mystery for now, I guess.

WatchinFish

check your overflow. you might be surprised. i found my starfish in my overflow after it was missing for 3 weeks and it was still alive.

Basile

ITS ALIVE ITS ALIVE , after 4 weks of hiding in the sand i guess. I fed my clowns that i just transfered to the new tank and the serpent star came out for dinner. He's a bit weird with scars, he now deserve the name scarface. :whstlr: :whstlr: :whstlr: